ALY MORRISON'S "BUTTERFLY" ADVENTURES IN THE WORLD OF WARGAMES AND TOY SOLDIERS

Wednesday 21 November 2018

The War of Spanish Succsession... French Gardes Suisses.

Greetings...


Yet another unit finished for this project... This time it is The Gardes Suisses.


This is another spruced up eBay purchase...
I spent a while wondering what to do with this unit as the red colour was a bit to orange for my liking... After some consideration I decided to give the figures a glaze of Evil Sunz Scarlet diluted with acrylic matt varnish... it worked a treat.
I only had to put a wash over the flesh and fussed up the white and silver...





A lovely unit and a must for any War of Spanish Succession collection...
They were fairly active during the war, seeing action at...
Louvain 1701
Eckeren 1703
Rhine 1704
Nodoue 1705
Ramillies 1706
Oudenaarde 1708
Malplaquet 1709
Douai, Le Quesnoy and Bouchain 1712
Landau 1713


They are 24 figures strong... so one of the larger units in my French army.




The miniatures are Front Rank...
https://www.frontrank.com/product-category/18th-century/spanish-succession/
Bases from Warbases...
https://warbases.co.uk/?product_cat=premier-bases-metric
The colonels flag is from Maverick Models...
http://www.maverick-models.com/flags.htm
The battalion flag is from the web via Photoshop...


All the best   Aly.



22 comments:

  1. Beautiful work, Aly! The color combinations of red, white, and blue make a sharp looking regiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed a lovely uniform...
      Most of the work was already done ... I just did the fussing.


      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  2. Simply marvellous! I’m really gripped by this project and envious of you eBay skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David...
      It’s certainly kept my attention for over a year...:-)
      I wouldn’t say I have particular eBay skills... I set the price I am prepared to pay and stick to it.... I have lost lots more auctions than I have won.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  3. "C'est magnifique Monsieur, comme il se doit"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great addition courtesy of ebay Aly. If its not too impertinent, roughly how much do you have to pay for a unit completed to a reasonable standard compared with buying the bare metal from FR?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kieth...
      For most auctions I tend to bid a little bit over the metal price and hope for the best...
      For these and a couple of other units the starting price minus metal cost came to a few pence over £4 a figure... for miniatures that were close enough to my own style it seemed worth it...
      The important thing is to set your price and stick to it.
      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  5. Can't beat French Garde, lovely unit Aly, all the better that it only required minimum work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely one of the must haves in the French army Graham.

      All the best. Aly.

      Delete
  6. Marvellous stuff old chap, it is going to look a spectacular army. Front Rank are fine figures, I am really lucky that I get paid to paint so many of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil...
      I should really get you to paint some shouldn’t I...

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  7. Wonderful pick up! Definitely fighting Gardes, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice they look too Aly. The French Guard who complained at Malplaquet that by fighting they might damage their expensive uniforms and equipment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fear not Paul...
      There will be none of that nonsense if I’m in command....
      They will get slaughtered and run away just like the rest of my men...

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  9. Lovely looking Swiss guards! They've come up really well and fit in nicely with your own figures.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Ian...
    It was worth the effort.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice unit Aly. I liked the solution for adjusting the red too. A year on a single project is a long time for a butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Mark...
    It’s actually more than a year now... and going by what you have done this year... it’s you that looks like the butterfly ;-)

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely work, they are a splendid unit 🙂

    ReplyDelete