ALY MORRISON'S "BUTTERFLY" ADVENTURES IN THE WORLD OF WARGAMES AND TOY SOLDIERS

Monday 2 December 2019

Bits and pieces... A new Table Top.

Greetings...


Over the last few months I have realised that my Green Baize table covering has become harder and harder to keep looking nice...
Even with a dust sheet covering it most of the time... it is still a fluff magnet and seems to become bobbly when you just look at it...


So I have decided to bite the bullet and cover the table with something a bit more robust...


I have gone for linoleum...
I saw someone on another blog using linoleum and I thought what a good idea... its designed to be walked on so it should stand up to having terrain boards and toy soldiers placed on it...





The colour is called... Green Wellness... Its actually paler than it looks in this picture...




With some shiny toys... Its actually a bit greener than this picture shows...the room was brightened up by a rather unseasonal burst of sunlight...
I will only use it for playing shiny toy soldier games... I was thinking of experimenting on some off cuts using chalk pens to mark out rivers and roads...


Next time... A Parade.

19 comments:

  1. When not in use for wargaming, you can climb up and tap dance on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bizarrely...
      You are not the first person to suggest that...:-)
      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  2. Not heard of using lino as a wargaming surface , was there a problem getting the right colour green for it ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately I was able to get a number of free samples, so I was able to see what my toys looked like in situ...

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  3. A great look. Pleasantly old school. While tables chock-a-block with scenic goodies are nearly always impressive feasts for the eyes, there is something equally delightful about an uncluttered surface. Perhaps a slightly more Scandinavian approach to tabletop battlefields?

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old school or should I say New/Old School is what I was looking for Stokes...
      IKEA wargaming... or what? ;-)

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  4. Everybodys talking 'bout the old school, new school, it still looks good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your so... ‘street’ Phil...
      As the youngsters might say.... ;-)


      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I you are going to go shiny... it has to be shiny all the way.... ;-)

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  7. It will be interesting to see how your experiments with chalk go. What are your plans for hills?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried out a chalk pen on an off cut... it goes on ok ... but you need a scrubbing brush to get it off...
      If I can get different coloured drafting tape, that might be an option...
      Failing that War Bases do some MDF rivers/roads.

      The hills will be classic oval or kidney shaped stepped variety.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  8. Linoleum--now that's taking the concept of "Floor Games" to a new level!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... to tabletop level...

      Much kinder on the knees... ;-)

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  9. Lino? That'll be cold underfoot on a winter's morning, with frost on the inside of the window panes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no intention of standing on my table to find out...
      As a lad I do remember the windows being frosted over on the inside...I don’t remember the Lino in the kitchen being to bad ... maybe it’s because I am from up north... or maybe it’s because I am getting on a bit and my rose tinted glasses view the past a little bit warmer...;-)
      Anyway it is definitely more robust than green baize.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  10. Lino is the way to go, Aly. It even rhymes! It's certainly better than the half-ton of ping pong table I try to manoeuvre about. I've even been wondering whether it would be possible to use strips of blue, brown and grey for roads and rivers and whatnot.
    Best reagrds
    WM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered about using Lino for roads, rivers, etc.
      But unless you can get off cuts it is quite expensive... the minimum order in most cases being four square meters...
      I am going to see how masking tape works out... you can get it in a surprising amount of colours...

      All the best. Aly

      Delete