ALY MORRISON'S "BUTTERFLY" ADVENTURES IN THE WORLD OF WARGAMES AND TOY SOLDIERS

Sunday 11 March 2018

Partizan 2018... Portuguese Infantry.

Here are my first group of Portuguese infantry...






I have used Great War Miniatures British infantry for these... though not entirely accurate... they work well enough.


By 1918 most... if not all the Portuguese equipment was manufactured in Britain... so a certain British look seems inevitable.































The ribbed helmet is fairly unique to the Portuguese ... but British helmets were also used.


The standing collar was also a Portuguese thing ... but there is some photographic evidence that shows a falling collar.






Battalion numbers were sewn onto the upper arm ...but most photo's do not show them... I may add them latter...






The colour for the Tunic, Trousers and Puttees is....




A very old pot of Citadel Colour ... Blue Grey...


I brought it back to life using Citadel... Lahmian Medium.
There are know doubt other colours that will suit but I was feeling a bit old school...


The Webbing was... Foundry... Drab Light 12C.
The Helmet was... Foundry... Night Sky Shade 26A.


Everything was given a coat of ... Aly's Brown Liquid.


Then highlighted with the original shade.


The ribs on the helmet were created by painting them with Night Sky plus Blue Grey.
This was also used to pick out the rim.








I am very pleased with these ...
They make for an unusual uniform for WW1 western front worn by an under appreciated fighting force.





 I also managed to paint an officer from The Royal Naval Air Service...
Again not something you normally see... The Navy rank insignia making him stand out.


The Miniatures are Great War Miniatures...
http://www.northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=20&cat=153&sub=226&page=1
The paints are Wargames Foundry and Citadel...
https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/paint
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Painting-Modelling
Bases from Warbases...
https://warbases.co.uk/?product_cat=premier-bases-metric






Any additional information on the Portuguese or the RNAS would be appreciated...


All the best  Aly






































23 comments:

  1. A nice post and a splendid group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I particularly like the officer with map.
    I remember being hugely surprised when seeing the Portuguese helmet in the late lamented DLI Museum, not having any idea of their active role in the Great War.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...
      I first found out about Portugal’s involvement when I bought Blandfords Army Uniforms of World War 1.
      It is a shame that their involment has been forgotten about or simply pushed aside for one reason or another.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  3. Marvellous stuff Aly, look forward to seeing them in all their glory in May.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice Aly and a unit and force I have never read about in WW1. Beautifully painted figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carlo...
      It’s nice to be able to expand people’s horizons... :-)

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  5. Looking forward to seeing this at Partizan. Looks really good so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Overlooked, indeed--I've yet to run into a mention of the Portuguese contribution to the Great War. By the photos, they certainly look like fellows not to be trifled with. Excellent ridged helmet effect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ed...
      I think the Portuguese were given a bit of a bad press after the German Spring offensives and have been sidelined to some extent... which is a shame because they fought well and fared no worse than some of the British units.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  7. Nice looking work Aly! I hope I will catch the game, if not at Partizan, perhaps elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David...

      Hopefully you will be up and running by Partizan... actually I think I would pay to see that... :-)

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  8. What a great looing bunch they are Aly! And I really like those colourised photos...what a difference that colour makes to WWI imagery - that trench scene would appear so much more sinister in B&W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark...
      The colourised photos are fantastic...it’s a side of digital art that is constantly improving...
      Peter Jackson’s studio have been working on some colourisation and renovating old WW1 film footage... the results look amazing.

      All the best. Aly





      Delete
  9. Lovely work on your Portuguese troops, you've done the helmets really well, I remember coming across some black and white photos of them and being intrigued that they were involved in WW 1 when I was about 12,it was a really good book that also had excellent photos of gas masks and kilt covers, wish I could remember the name!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ian...

      It is strange that one of our oldest allies is almost forgotten as far as WW1 is concerned...

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  10. Lovely stuff, Aly. The Tommies convert well into the Portuguese with a different paint job. Will be see some RNAS types in navy blue? I have seen phots of RNAS squadron personnel were both khaki and navy blue uniforms can be seen side by side. Not sure how accurate it would be for this late period of the war but it would add even more diversity. Great to have close-ups to see how much overpainting you do on top of the Aly's Brown Liquid and flesh washes. Trying this out myself for bulk painting of my Middle Easter theatre Tommies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Mark...

    I am going to do some RNAS in navy blue... as they had only become part of the RAF on the 1st of April ...the action we have based the game on happened on the 9th...
    I imagine that not all the equipment would have been changed... that’s my excuse anyway...
    I vary my highlighting to suit the colour on some of the darker browns and khakis I hardly do any at all...
    I look forward to see what you do.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice as always Aly. If you’re short of Portuguese I have a number of the old Foundry figures that Jack Glanville painted many moons ago which I could bring down with me. I can send some pics if you want to see them?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cheers Dave...
    I think we are going to be all right for the Portuguese... these modern(ish) uniforms don’t take to long to paint...
    I will of course be straight on the phone the day before the show if we have miscalculated... :-).
    I look forward to seeing you in May

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  14. You had better phone two days before as I’ll be heading off in the morning the day before. Hopefully Gillian won’t have any more accidents before then.
    I’m putting on a game with Barry and Bob plus Colin and the gang will also be there.

    ReplyDelete