So I have finally finished my first War of Spanish Succession unit...Hurrah!!!
I thought I would put down the whole painting process in this post, so I apologise in advance for the repetition of some earlier images...
First I block in all the colours...
Coat and waistcoat ... Citadel ... Kantor Blue.
Cuffs, Stock. Piping on Pouch and Stockings ... Citadel ... Evil Sunz Scarlet.
Musket and Powder Flask ... Citadel ... Mournfang Brown.
Shirt Sleeves, Officers Cravats and officers Stockings ... Citadel ...Pallid Wych Flesh.
Flask Cords ... Wargames Foundry ... Boneyard 9B.
Belts and Scabbards ... Wargames Foundry ... Buff Leather 7B.
Officers Belts and Scabbards ... Citadel ... Doombull Brown.
Field Sign ... Citadel ... Elysian Green.
Hat Piping ... Wargames Foundry ... Ochre 4B.
Hats, Shoes and Ammunition Pouches ... Citadel ...Abaddon Black.
Flesh ... Wargames Foundry ... Flesh 5B.
Eyes and Hair ... Citadel ... Dryad Bark.
Lips ... Citadel ... Pink Horror.
Metal Parts and Officers Sashes ... Army Painter ... Shining Silver.
Gold/Brass Parts ... Citadel Retributor Armour.
I then give everything a coat of ...
Aly's Brown Liquid...
40% Agrax Earthshade, 40% Seraphim Sepia and 20% Lahmian Medium...
The final ingredient is a few drops of Drakenhof Nightshade...
The colour you are looking for is not quite Brown any more but not entirely Payne's grey.
I usually put in a drop at a time and check the colour on a piece of white plastic or paper.
I also give the Face and Hands a wash of ... Citadel ... Flesh Shade.
Everything is then highlighted with the original colour...
I added an extra highlight to...
The Belts ... Wargames Foundry Buff Leather 7B plus some Buff Leather Light 7B.
The Flesh ... Wargames Foundry Flesh 5B plus some Flesh Light 6C.
The Coat ... Citadel Kantor Blue plus some Citadel Caledor Blue... mostly this was a highlight around the edges of the coat.
The chins are given a wash of Aly's brown Liquid for that 5 'o' clock shadow.
I varnish the black leather and metal parts with Tamiya Clear X-22 and give the officers scabbards and belts a coat of Tamiya Clear Orange X-26.
Yup! here's the picture...
The miniatures could live without this, but I like it... It gives a nice contrast and - in my opinion - 'Implies' extra detail.
I write most of this in a book... it helps when you get to my age...
Using super glue I first stick the back row to the bases.
These are from War Bases...
They are 60mm wide, 50mm deep and 3mm thick.
Next I apply and texture lightweight filler around the bases...
While this is still wet I attach the rest of the miniatures making sure they have a good contact with the MDF.
Once they are secure I apply the rest of the texture...
I leave the filler to set over night.
At this stage I like to have a good look over the unit, it gives me a chance to see how the unit looks as a whole , I can do extra work if I feel it is needed.
In this case I added extra highlights to the hat edging, the field sign and the officers hat.
I paint and flock the bases in my usual way...
The flags are from Maverick Models...
All in all I have really enjoyed painting these toys.
I already have the first French unit started..
And thanks to a donation of some unwanted miniatures from my friend Adrian and a fresh delivery from Front Rank...
I have plenty to do...
I also took delivery of these beauties...a very good resource.
Available from The Pike and Shot Society...
All the best. Aly.