ALY MORRISON'S "BUTTERFLY" ADVENTURES IN THE WORLD OF WARGAMES AND TOY SOLDIERS

Wednesday, 12 August 2026

Dads Army… Flutter Flutter

Greetings…

The butterfly has decided that I should do a little painting test on one of the lovely “Women of WW2” from Bad Squiddo Games.

This is a cracking range of miniatures and fits in nicely with what I want to do with my “Dads Army” project.


I decided to paint the “Scots Officer”…
But I have painted her as an ATS officer serving with AA Command( And other RA units) and wearing a private purchase coloured field cap.


Here we go…



I am very pleased with how she has come out…
It was interesting trying out slightly different Khakis… I must have about a dozen different shades.

If you are going to paint some “Women of WW2” yourself I wholeheartedly recommend this book if you can get hold of it…


I thought that instead of doing the usual list of paints that I have used I would show a couple of shots of my project notebook…



I’ve started creating a notebook for all my projects as a way of organising/recording my purchases and painting recipes… And also any thoughts about the direction I wish to take the collection.

I don’t know how I got so organised…. It must be something to do with retirement 😁.

So back to more fluttering 🦋🦋🦋

All the best.  Aly






32 comments:

  1. Obey the butterfly, terribly organised planning,very impressive!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you…
      The butterfly definitely knows what is best…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  2. Great stuff. You are to well organised though🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil…
      I think it is just a phase I am going through 😆

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  3. The bottom row figure on the right has more than a passing resemblance to Queen Elizabeth 2nd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she does… doesn’t she.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  4. Ooh I like those ladies, Aly, I could incorporate them into my AVBCW stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very nice Mark…And would fit very well with the AVBCW.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  5. I'm impressed with your notebook (and that you even have listed paints used in a project). I think I've only done that once. Things would have been so much easier had I developed that habit (in retirement or otherwise): good on ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully this will last Ed…
      It’s proving very useful… Especially for remembering which colours I have used…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Yes indeed …
      The butterfly needs its exercise 😁🦋🦋🦋

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  7. The butterfly is always right.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great stuff Aly....one of many Bad Squiddo sets I have pondered over the years.....might get them one day. You have done a lovely job of painting the occifer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Keith…
      She was a nice figure to paint and I reckon the others will be the same.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  9. Great idea for the games. Glad to see you do khaki correctly--- as in shades all over.. As for the notebooks, Great idea, the devil's always in the details. The books are very good for nostalgic reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe…
      There is a fair bit of variation in the Khaki colours as is there with Field Grey… It certainly makes the painting more interesting.
      I used to write things down in just one big notebook… but that became a bit difficult to keep track of…
      A book for each project seems to work best…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  10. Lovely work on her and a very nice little miniatures, nice to see some ladies take to the field.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donnie …
      They are lovely figures … It will be good to have them defending Nottingham 😆

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  11. Lovely work Aly.
    Being that organised you can butterfly from project to project without getting lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ben…
      Yes indeed… And I certainly don’t want to lose the Butterfly.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  12. A nice job on a fairly bland figure, so well done. The note books give an interesting insight into your methods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David…
      Maybe an insight into my brain as well 🤣

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  13. I often get organised. Usually lasts for... oh, at least several hours sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall see if I can beat your record 🤣

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  14. nice sculpts and your brush and colour choice have favoured them kindly. Nice every now and then to put something very different on the painting sticks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Norm…
      They will certainly add interest to the Dads Army collection.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  15. Great painting Aly and a wonderful insight into how your brain works. I do keep extremely random lists and disorganised notes often made when travelling on a train for some reason. Sometimes I find this sort of clears my head about a project. I then ignore it ………….👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt…
      Including the ‘Not Ignoring’ part to the equation seems to help a lot.
      😆

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  16. Hmmm, thirty shades of khaki with the ATS - I think I see where you're going with this ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a pity it was all filmed in Black and White… 🤔

      Delete