ALY MORRISON'S "BUTTERFLY" ADVENTURES IN THE WORLD OF WARGAMES AND TOY SOLDIERS

Wednesday 28 November 2018

The War of Spanish Succession... French Gardes Françoises.

Gardes Gardes...


One more unit finished...


Yet another 'spruced up' unit...The French Gardes Françoises.


These were a nice easy job... All I did was...


Put a wash over the flesh... mostly to tone down the eyes a bit
Tidy up some chips and scuffs...
Brighten up the 'metals'...
And paint out the highlights on the black... My own personal foible... I prefer black to be.... black.


They were then re-varnished and re-based... Again to suit my own preferences...


The standards were lifted from the web and tweaked on Photoshop... I think they have come out a bit soft... but they are not to offensive and I quite like the shade of blue...


I am slowly building my confidence with Photoshop and as this project continues I will try and make some more standards... failing that I will buy my daughter lunch and persuade her to do it for me...










Like the Gardes Suisses these chaps seemed to have got around a bit.


1701 Flanders and Brussels.
1702 Nijmegen.
1703 Tongres.
1704 Flanders and Rhine.
1705 Huy and Overische.
1706 Ramillies.
1707 Flanders.
1708 Oudenaarde.
1709 Malplaquet.
1710 Flanders.
1712 Douai and Le Quesnoy.
1713 Rhine, Landau and Freiburg.


Although they may have spent some of that time exchanging fashion ideas...


Of course... not on my watch... It will be battle, blood, disaster and defeat... as usual.


Next up... Bavarians.


The miniatures are Front Rank...
https://www.frontrank.com/product-category/18th-century/spanish-succession/
Bases from Warbases...
https://warbases.co.uk/?product_cat=premier-bases-metric


All the best   Aly.

16 comments:

  1. Your Gardes are gorgeously attired! Beautiful work, Aly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan...
      All I did was a bit of sprucing...

      All the best Aly

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. They are indeed very French...

      All the best Aly

      Delete
  3. One of my favorite units during this period..."Messiaurs, pour le Roy!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely one of the must have units...

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  4. Great looking figures as always Aly - cant go wrong with Front Rank! Their standard look fine to me - I created all the colours for my Sepoy regiments in the @Wellington in India@ collection on MS Paint - just Googled the East India Co flag then extrapolated that their soldiers would have used it the way the Brits used the Union flag, and did the second colour based on their facings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I have said before Keith... Front Rank miniatures are a joy to paint...
      I am slowly getting the hang of Photoshop... I think the thing that holds me back is the fact that I spend all day working with CAD and when I get home the thought of sitting in front of a screen and doing more CAD leaves my a bit cold...
      I will preserve...
      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  5. Splendid! I really like the way you blend in the units to your style with the magic wash. What’s next, some Brits?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David...
      I have a unit of Bavarians on the desk and after that I fancied doing some cavalry...
      The only castings I have are British Horse... Hurrah!

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  6. Lovely looking guard unit and splendid flags as far as I can see!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my favorite regiment crom the Ancient Regime and you have a done a great job of tarting them up.

    Where practical these days I draw flags from scratch using Illustrator - that's my graphic design training coming to the fore. It makes for more precise drawing and competely scalable without detail loss. For a CAD man like yourself you would find it a very useful tool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark...
      I really need to upgrade to a newer version of Photoshop... when I get myself a decent computer... mine is like me old slow and creaking.
      I shall check out Illustrator when the time comes... well true be told... I will get my daughter to check it out for me...

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  8. Beautiful unit, nice to be able to find units almost ‘done’ and only requiring a bit of work, very nice 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheers Matt...
    It certainly helps move the project along.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete