ALY MORRISON'S "BUTTERFLY" ADVENTURES IN THE WORLD OF WARGAMES AND TOY SOLDIERS

Thursday 8 June 2023

A New Book… Fighting for Liberty.

Greetings…

This evening I sat in the garden and continued to read this rather excellent book…



Sun, A white wine spritzer, A book and absolutely no gardening

If you are even a little bit curious about the Monmouth Rebellion this is an excellent book… Very well written and easy to read…
Reading about the ‘Battle’ of Bridport had me reaching for the Front Rank Miniatures catalogue 😂.

Unlike some of the books I have on the subject this one also covers the actions in Scotland really well.

A lot of the actions would be perfect for Pikeman’s Lament or Donnybrook…

Am I tempted… No!… Not at all… Honest…

Whether you are tempted to let your butterfly have a treat or just want to find out a bit more about an interesting period in British history I wholeheartedly recommend this book.

You can find it here…

All the best.  Aly.

Helion Books have not bribed me in any way to say nice things about this book… Yet!

19 comments:

  1. Aly, you are livin the High Life! Interesting book too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It a difficult job … but someone has to do it.
      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  2. Was looking at this book myself, very tempting , very ' rabbit hole' material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The actions (and potential what ifs) are all fairly small scale…so the rabbit holes aren’t too deep.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  3. The sun has gone to your head? Or is it too much rebasing? Not to mention restoring damaged masters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the above David…
      At the moment I am just expanding my knowledge… It might be something to do in my retirement though.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  4. Sounds interesting, the Monmouth rebellion was something I wasn't aware of until it was the setting for a TV series in the early 70s, The Pretenders? I think it was called. Forgot about it until I saw the Stonewall groups game at Derby, I made a point then of visiting the Sedgemoor battle area when we were down that way next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed interesting Phil…
      I think the series was just called ‘Pretenders’… I think there was also a docudrama covering the rebellion.
      We were taught about the Jacobite risings at school but I don’t remember getting anything about Argyle’s rebellion.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  5. Nice looking book, Aly....that is a period I have always been concious of...I have looked at FR a few times, but never actually taken the plunge.....yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Front Rank figures are indeed lovely Keith…
      I will resist temptation… for the moment.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  6. Looks sunny even in Nottingham ? Not a period I know much about and not sure my brain can hold much more 🤯 look forward to seeing you game it though 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed sunny in Nottingham Matt…
      I will need to press on with the my other projects before I dive into the 17th Century.

      All the best. Aly.

      Delete
  7. Aly.....because you're not tempted you won't check out the 4Play scenarios by Barry Hilton for the Argyll's Rebellion on the Warfare website...will you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct Stuart… I haven’t looked at Barry’s Scenarios… much 😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  8. Helion books are great indeed Aly! But like with minis and "projects", just too many of them ;-)

    Best wishes,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Jan…
      I think I will have to make more effort if I want to do half of what I want to do 😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  9. Great looking book, very interesting period, unfortunately there are too many really interesting periods!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it’s one of the frustrations and equally one of the joys of our hobby…
      Too many temptations😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete