ALY MORRISON'S "BUTTERFLY" ADVENTURES IN THE WORLD OF WARGAMES AND TOY SOLDIERS

Tuesday 25 June 2024

Shiny Napoleonics… The Thuringian Battalion… Part 1

Greetings…

As a way of avoiding strain on my eye … Which is getting better… I Decided to paint a unit that I can do in easy stages…

So …. The Thuringian Battalion….

This battalion was made up from …

The Gotha Contingent…

The Weimar Contingent…

And The Coburg Contingent…

Each contingent had their own uniforms until 1813 when they all received a simple dark blue uniform with sky blue facings from August to November of that year.

My information came from the very splendid Brigade Uniform Plates…

https://www.brigade-uniform-tafeln.de/en/

I can not begin to recommend these enough they are worth every penny you choose to spend on them…

I must add here… That I do not get royalties 🤣.

I decided to model each continent as a separate six figure stand and then paint the command in the colours of the 1813 uniform…

The first up are The Gotha Continent…

I gave my men uncovered Shakos… I feel I have made the cockade a bit on the large side… But it works okay…

The figures I have used are the current Minifigs NN7 Nassau Infantry Advancing with slightly altered Shakos,Cuffs and the addition of a bayonet scabbard…

I will probably use the same figure for the Weimar and Coburg contingents as it is a simple figure which lends itself to conversion potential…





The tunics are a mix of… Citadel… Kantor Blue and Caledor Sky… 60%-40% approximately.

The Red bits are of course… Citadel… Evil Sunz Scarlet 

Everything was given a wash of Aly’s Brown Liquid then highlighted with the original colours… The lighter colours were then given an extra highlight to pick them out a bit more.

The paints are from…

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Painting-Modelling

The bases are as always…

https://warbases.co.uk/product-category/bases/round-cornered-bases/mdf-rc/

Always a pleasure to paint…

Hopefully the next stand will be sooner rather than later…


All the best   Aly






34 comments:

  1. I have this unit in my Prussian contingent, but in the later standard kit. Somehow it is reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who has gotten so stuck in to both know about this unit and go to the next step of fielding it. Hope your eye recovery continues to progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s good to know that I am not alone Ed…
      The Prussians are certainly not as dull/ mundane as some people may think…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  2. A smart addition and an unusual subject, even if as Ed points out, not quite unique in subject. However probably unique in the choices made in uniforming this contingent.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My guideline is always go for the pretty Stephen…
      And these fellows are indeed pretty…
      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  3. I think the old Minifigs have stood the test of time .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly have Tony…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  4. Good to see you are getting your eye back in, Aly! :)
    I always had a hankering to do some of the multi microstate units of the Rheinbund - your mates the Perrys did them I think - one company from Lippe -Detmold, the next Schaumberg-Lippe and another Anhalt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Keith…
      Yes the Perrys Confederation of the Rhine range is very tempting.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  5. Snappy as ever, got to like those sharp red seams on the trousers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rob…
      I do like a smart turn out…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  6. Shiney galore, they look very dashing and wonderful job Aly. Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Quinn…
      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  7. They look great and I like the idea of using their different uniforms but then doing the command in the 1813 one. Lovely addition and look forward to seeing the next contingent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donnie…
      It balances everything out nicely I think…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  8. Beautiful looking unit Aly, sooooooo tempted to do Minifigs shinny Napoleonics.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Willz…
      Go on you know it makes sense…😈

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  9. Fabulous, looks like they are made of porcelain! Minifigs do scrub up well in the right hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Bob…
      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  10. Lovely figures and very smart painting. :-) Good luck with the eye recovery; eye trouble is really unpleasant and worrying...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David…
      I have had nicer things happen to me.. but it is on the mend

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  11. Napoleonics✓ Shiny ✓ They will do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will indeed David…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  12. They look rather splendid, Aly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A classic Minifigs figure painted classically. Literally, brilliant work, Aly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Jonathan…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  14. Just lovely. This is going to be an exceptionally eye-catching battalion, Aly. Keep well, WM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Matthew…
      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  15. If this is how you paint when your eyes are struggling, I am afraid to see what you come up with when you are back to 100%. I am needing a good scarlet for the Polish Lancers of the Imperial Guard, and I think I may have to steal your use of Evil Sunz Scarlet. Have to love the GW paint names!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David…
      The main problem is that I am only painting in short bursts at the moment…
      I have however cleaned up quite a few castings though.
      The Evil Sunz Scarlet is a very good colour….
      I reckon the names are no sillier than this from household paint suppliers….
      I have just ordered some Elephants Breath and Setting Plaster for my cellar… I could have opted for Savage Ground or even Dead Salmon…
      All the best. Aly

      Delete