ALY MORRISON'S "BUTTERFLY" ADVENTURES IN THE WORLD OF WARGAMES AND TOY SOLDIERS

Friday, 31 July 2026

Samurai… W.I.P.

Greetings …

About a year ago I had an excellent game of Clashing Katanas around at my friend Matt’s…

https://alystoysoldiers.blogspot.com/2025/11/clashing-katanas-dashing-daimyo.htmlALYS TOY SOLDIERS: Clashing Katanas… The Dashing Daimyo.

Of course I needed to go out and get some Samurai’s painted for myself….

So here are the first three almost done 🤣

I have chosen to do ( My take on ) The Maede Clan… Unfortunately I can’t find anyone that does decals so I am waiting until I have a full unit painted before I freehand all the Crests in one go…

So here we go…


I’m very pleased with how these are going…
I’ve used a fair bit of Contrast and Shade type paints which has been an interesting experience…
I will post more details once the unit is finished…
I’m also trying out a new basing method which is a bit more verdant than my normal style…

More to follow…

All the best.  Aly


28 comments:

  1. Superb work Aly, they look brilliant, Always nice to see Samurai, so looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donnie…
      They have certainly taken their time.. but I am pleased with them.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  2. Those are quite superb Aly san, the butterfly is in full flight there and no mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil…
      The butterfly is definitely on form 🦋🦋🦋😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  3. Lovely Samurai, I might have started collecting some figures for two Samurai armies, itll be a while before I assemble/paint them so I look forward to more of yours in the meantime!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain…
      There is certainly a lot of fuss and feathers about them…
      Not something I would want to paint in big batches…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  4. Really great looking figures. Looking forward to seeing this project progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you….
      It will only be a small force… but hopefully a pretty and victorious one…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  5. These are great Aly! I came close to getting some plastic Samurai from someone, but to be honest, Mark has more than enough for 3-4 players and Chris has a similar large collection of Koreans, so in the end, I didn't bother - and now our other mate Nick is starting on Samrai too - it's his buildings Mark has been busy painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Keith…
      I also know people who have vast forces of Samurai… so this will just be a skirmish- Clashing Katanas - level collection.
      Those buildings Mark is painting are lovely and very tempting.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  6. Beautiful work Aly, one day I’ll get on with painting my samurai !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt…
      I look forward to seeing what you will do… You will definitely be quicker than me 😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  7. They look pretty spiffing as is to me! No doubt they will look even more splendid when tarted up by your good self!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David…
      I only need to do the crests on the back banners… but I am not really looking forward to all that freehand work…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  8. I'm sure any hand-painted mon by you will look splendid but you can buy decal sheet for laser printers. The sheets come either clear or white - because you can't print white, but it does create a problem cutting around the decal to avoid white around the edge. Your samurai have white banners so you could use either quite easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I shall go for the freehand Rob…
      It’s a fairly simple design.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  9. Looking great, Aly. I've done a few samurai this year and expect some more will be on my docket sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lo! Something shiney!
    The butterfly wing flaps,
    Aly paints samurai!
    Neil ☺☺☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technically it’s not a new shiny…
      They have been half started and staring at me for nearly a year🙀
      The butterfly is pleased however…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  11. I don't think those are colourful enough Aly. Maybe you need to add some bows or something...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try harder David…
      I do have some bows to come…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
    2. Not that kind of Bow! :) Those are of course lovely as always Aly.

      Delete
    3. Ah! …
      I’m thinking Red Lacquer…
      Your thinking Silk Taffeta
      🤣

      Delete