This is my first Command Stand... And I have decided to start with The Duke of Marlborough himself...
I also thought that it would be a good opportunity to try out some of Games Workshop's new Contrast Colours...
The Duke was first undercoated with GW White Primmer...
The horse was give a diluted wash of ... Contrast ... Gryph-Charger Grey.(All of the Contrast Colours were diluted using Contrast Medium)
The lower legs were painted with two coats of diluted ... Contrast... Black Templar.
The first coat was encouraged to bleed out onto legs using a brush dipped into the Contrast Medium...
The second coat was used to give more intensity to the fetlocks.
The main and tail were painted with pure Black Templar...
The coat was painted ... Citadel... Wild Rider Red.
Then given a slightly diluted coat of... Contrast... Blood Angels Red.
The horse trappings were painted... Citadel... Mephisto Red.
Then given a wash with... Contrast... Flesh Tearers Red.
The Horse was given some highlights using very diluted white... mostly on the rump and head.
The coat and trappings were also given some highlights... again using a diluted version of their original colours.
Some dapples were added to the horse using slightly less diluted white.
The horse harness, shoes, scabbard and hat were painted black.
The Gaiters were painted... Foundry... Buff Leather.
Then washed with slightly diluted... Contrast... Snakebite Leather.
The Gloves were painted... Foundry Buff Leather 7B.
Then given a coat of... Aly's Brown Liquid.
The Face was painted... Foundry Flesh 5B.
Then given a coat of diluted... Contrast... Guilliman Flesh.
The Braid was painted with a mix of Gold and Orange.
After a wash of Aly's Brown Liquid it was highlighted with the original shade.
Buttons etc. were painted with pure gold.
After a coat of Matt varnish the Leather Goods were given a Coat of Gloss.
The Trumpeter was given a Grey undercoat... Halfords own brand Grey Primmer (any good matt primmer would do)
The Horse was give a good coating of... Contrast... Black Templar.
The Horse Harness etc. Were painted black.
The Coat, Horse Trapping and Trumpet Banner were all painted...
Citadel... Evil Sunz Scarlet.
Then washed with slightly diluted... Contrast... Blood Angels Red.
Again this was highlighted with the original shade.
The cuffs were painted... Citadel... Kantor Blue.
The Gold, Gloves and Flesh were all painted the same way as the Duke's.
The Runner was based loosely on this image from the Blenheim Tapestries.
The figure was given a white undercoat...
The White Quarters were given a wash with Diluted... Contrast... Gryph-Charger Grey.
Then highlighted with Diluted White.
The Blue Quarters were painted... Citadel... Kantor Blue.
Then Washed with... Contrast... Leviadon Blue.
The Stockings were a wash of... Contrast... Wyldwood.
The Reds, Flesh, Hair, shoes and Hat were treated the same way as the Duke's.
The Gold's were again painted the same way as the Duke's.
I really enjoyed painting these... it was interesting using a new set of paints.
The Contrast colours are very high in pigment hence diluting them... You can always add another coat ... it is not so easy to take one off.
The other thing that I did was to mostly paint over a coloured base rather than straight onto the primmer... I felt more comfortable doing this as it was closer to my normal style of painting.
Will I use Contrasts again... yes
Will I completely change my normal painting style... probably not... but I will add Contrasts to my painting palette and use them for command stands, small units, characters and most defiantly horses.
Hopefully this all makes sense and is of some help...
The miniatures are as always Front Rank...
The paints are Wargames Foundry and Citadel...
Bases from Warbases...
All the best Aly