ALY MORRISON'S "BUTTERFLY" ADVENTURES IN THE WORLD OF WARGAMES AND TOY SOLDIERS

Sunday 14 July 2019

The War of Spanish Succession... The Duke of Marlborough

Greetings...
This is my first Command Stand... And I have decided to start with The Duke of Marlborough himself...


I also thought that it would be a good opportunity to try out some of Games Workshop's new Contrast Colours...




The Duke was first undercoated with GW White Primmer...
The horse was give a diluted wash of ... Contrast ... Gryph-Charger Grey.(All of the Contrast Colours were diluted using Contrast Medium)




The lower legs were painted with two coats of diluted ... Contrast... Black Templar.
The first coat was encouraged to bleed out onto legs using a brush dipped into the Contrast Medium...
The second coat was used to give more intensity to the fetlocks.
The main and tail were painted with pure Black Templar...








The coat was painted ... Citadel... Wild Rider Red.
Then given a slightly diluted coat of... Contrast... Blood Angels Red.
The horse trappings were painted... Citadel... Mephisto Red.
Then given a wash with... Contrast... Flesh Tearers Red.




The Horse was given some highlights using very diluted white... mostly on the rump and head.
The coat and trappings were also given some highlights... again using a diluted version of their original colours.





Some dapples were added to the horse using slightly less diluted white.
The horse harness, shoes, scabbard and hat were painted black.
The Gaiters were painted... Foundry... Buff Leather.
Then washed with slightly diluted... Contrast... Snakebite Leather.




The Gloves were painted... Foundry Buff Leather 7B.
Then given a coat of... Aly's Brown Liquid.
The Face was painted... Foundry Flesh 5B.
Then given a coat of diluted... Contrast... Guilliman Flesh.




The Braid was painted with a mix of Gold and Orange.
After a wash of Aly's Brown Liquid it was highlighted with the original shade.
Buttons etc. were painted with pure gold.




After a coat of Matt varnish the Leather Goods were given a Coat of Gloss.




The Trumpeter was given a Grey undercoat... Halfords own brand Grey Primmer (any good matt primmer would do)
The Horse was give a good coating of... Contrast... Black Templar.




The Horse Harness etc. Were painted black.
The Coat, Horse Trapping and Trumpet Banner were all painted...
Citadel... Evil Sunz Scarlet.
Then washed with slightly diluted... Contrast... Blood Angels Red.
Again this was highlighted with the original shade.



The cuffs were painted... Citadel... Kantor Blue.
The Gold, Gloves and Flesh were all painted the same way as the Duke's.




The Runner was based loosely on this image from the Blenheim Tapestries.




The figure was given a white undercoat...
The White Quarters were given a wash with Diluted... Contrast... Gryph-Charger Grey.
Then highlighted with Diluted White.
The Blue Quarters were painted... Citadel... Kantor Blue.
Then Washed with... Contrast... Leviadon Blue.
The Stockings were a wash of... Contrast... Wyldwood.





The Reds, Flesh, Hair, shoes and Hat were treated the same way as the Duke's.





The Gold's were again painted the same way as the Duke's.











Finished and Based...


I really enjoyed painting these... it was interesting using a new set of paints.
The Contrast colours are very high in pigment hence diluting them... You can always add another coat ... it is not so easy to take one off.
The other thing that I did was to mostly paint over a coloured base rather than straight onto the primmer... I felt more comfortable doing this as it was closer to my normal style of painting.


Will I use Contrasts again... yes
Will I completely change my normal painting style... probably not... but I will add Contrasts to my painting palette and use them for command stands, small units, characters and most defiantly horses.


Hopefully this all makes sense and is of some help...


The miniatures are as always Front Rank...
https://www.frontrank.com/product-category/18th-century/spanish-succession/
The paints are Wargames Foundry and Citadel...
https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/paint
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Painting-Modelling
Bases from Warbases...
https://warbases.co.uk/?product_cat=premier-bases-metric


All the best   Aly

32 comments:

  1. Lovely figures! Is 'Contrast' the brand name of the paints? Evil Sunz Scarlet is one of my favorites. Good choice here.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stokes, fancy meeting you here!
      "Contrast" is a new range of high pigment glaze/paint/wash from Games Workshop. There are many tutorials on youtube. They have got me painting again & I feel would suit your style of painting too.
      Best wishes,
      Jeremy

      Delete
    2. Thank you Stokes...
      And thank you Jeremy...
      Here is a link..
      https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/detail?N=3815391097+3891072176

      All the best Aly

      Delete
    3. Thank you Jeremy and Aly. I'll check 'em out!

      Best Regards,

      Stokes

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! The Duke has never looked better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As ever that's really interesting, but I won't be bothering as the paints are far too expensive. Besides, I don't want to encourage more space fairies...😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David...
      For me anything that makes painting horses a little less tiresome is worth the money...
      I don’t think that the space fairies need any encouragement... ;-)

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  4. First class painting Aly, a splendid vignette, the Duke, and the Duke's horse, are awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work & impressive base!
    Enlighten us, what is the is the nature & source of Aly's Brown liquid?
    Best wishes,
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeremy...
      If you go to the bottom of My Blog List (On the right) you will find a section called Pages...
      The recipe for Brown Liquid is in there...

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  6. Beautifully executed Aly the Duke’s horse is especially fine. I am just not sure I have the patience to change my painting style ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt...
      My painting style won’t be changing either... but these colours are a useful addition.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete

  7. Thanks Aly, great work. So far I've used the contrast black and white which are invaluable, but I think I'll be using any other colours as washes over block colours . Great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Springinsfeld...
      The black and white seem to be very popular...
      I too prefer to put a wash over block colours.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  8. A fine looking result, folk seem to be getting good results from these. I think I will stick to what I know for the time being, I have some of the medium so I may mix it up and give it try, just to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil...
      They are a very useful addition... worth a try at least.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  9. Gladdens my heart to see an old fashioned white prime again (apart from on my own). The painted figures are a delight to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ross...
      I have been using white or light grey primmer for many years now... it suits my painting style.


      All the best. Aly

      Delete
    2. Grey is the new black and white.

      Delete
    3. Well ‘they’ (whoever they are) have been saying that the hobby is greying out....
      Who would have thought that ‘they’ were talking about primmer...

      Delete
  10. Very nice sir.

    Glad you finally managed to get hold of some Contrast paints. :)

    I'm a fan of the Gore-Grunta Fur for chestnut horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...

      Yes Gore-Grunta is excellent for horses...

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  11. Very interesting to see the use of these new paints, Aly, particularly on horseflesh. An excellent grey! I have always struggled with grey horses so could his be the answer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark...
      The grey worked well... but you do have to dilute it...
      I have yet to try the white contrast... it’s been sold out since the release day...

      I am going to paint some brown horses for the next command stand... they work really well.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  12. Nice work.
    All the cool kids are using contrasts these days.
    I remain, not a cool kid :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Paul...
    Yup that’s me.. down with the hip cool cats and straight from the fridge daddy-o!

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great result. I might try them for painting some horses too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you...
    They are certainly worth a try...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely job on these Front Rank figures Aly........funny a friend rang me this evening and was talking about this painting system and mentioned you had done a blog on the to😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Keith...
      Ah! My fame travels before me...
      or is it the bad smell before I enter the room... ;-) ;-)

      All the best. Aly

      Delete