ALY MORRISON'S "BUTTERFLY" ADVENTURES IN THE WORLD OF WARGAMES AND TOY SOLDIERS

Friday 6 December 2019

A Family History... My friend Aidans Great Great Great Grandfather



Greetings...


The other week my friend and colleague Aidan came over to me and said "Aly I have just found out something about my Great Great Great Grandfather... And you are going to love it"


He wasn't wrong...


Aidan has allowed me to post this article about his ancestor...
It makes fascinating reading...
















Apart from being a wonderful snapshot of  Aidan's family history... It also shows how close we are to the past...


Aidan...
His Parents...
His Grandparents...
His Great Grandparents...
His Great Great Grandparents...
His Great Great Great Grandparents...


Five degrees of separation from the Crimean War... (And no Kevin Bacon).


This has encouraged me to look further into my families past... My Great Grandfather was in the Argyles at the turn of the 20th Century... If his Father or Grandfather served it the ranks... Who knows where that will lead...
It will be interesting to find out one way or another...


Many thanks to Aidan for letting me share this piece of his family history...


All the best   Aly

10 comments:

  1. That’s quite amazing really! Really love such stories which bring us closer to our ancestors and what they had to live through. I have a book written by my great great grandfathers brother about his experiences in the Great War.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky indeed...
      And yes you are correct... a few short steps and you are with your ancestors.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  2. What a amazing discovery! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fascinating discovery indeed...
      And a pleasure to share...

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  3. And three cheers for the Royal Welch Fusiliers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! It is those personal snippets that bring history alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does...
      When I get round to painting The Royal Welch Fusiliers for the Crimean War collection I will be thinking of Private William Stone.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  5. Great article and your right that history isn't far away, my grandad was born in 1869,not long after the end of the ACW!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a year before the Franco-Prussian War...
      I think seeing a photograph or a piece of film footage also makes the past seem closer...
      There are deguerreotypes of veterans from Napoleons Grand Armee...
      And film footage of American Civil War veterans...
      It certainly makes thing closer and more human.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete