ALY MORRISON'S "BUTTERFLY" ADVENTURES IN THE WORLD OF WARGAMES AND TOY SOLDIERS

Sunday 16 October 2022

The Other Partizan 2022.

Greetings…

Last weekend Dave Andrews and I popped over to Newark for the Other Partizan.

It was as always a grand affair and we got the chance to meet up with many lovely friends.

I am… as you may notice… a bit late in posting about the show… a busy week at work and a ‘Cold’ did their best to knock me for six.

I was convinced I had caught Covid again but all of my tests came up negative…I am going to be positive about things and try and look on my ‘Cold’ as a step back into some sort of normality… you remember… back in the day when a sneeze or a sniffle didn’t get you heading for a swab test…

I have stopped sneezing enough to get some more 40mm Napoleonics painted… they will be appearing on the blog soon.

For the moment here are a few pictures from the show…


A nice cold looking table from Old Pikey’s… I particularly liked the roads.



A beautifully presented game from TooFatLardies…




Marlburian style excellence from Phil Olley and Steve Gill.




Pyrotechnics in Vietnam from the Old Guard.



This game from the 1/72 Wargames Facebook Group caught my eye… especially as I had just bought the Osprey book.


A large 15mm War of the Roses game from the Carnwell Wargames Club.




Chocim 1660… An unusual and interesting game from The League of Augsburg.



Dark Age shenanigans from the Shrewsbury Wargames Society.




A nice looking WW2 desert game from the Derby Wargames Society… 





A ‘vignette-tastic’ Siege of Candia game from the Boondock Sayntes…



It’s probably no surprise that this is where we found the winner of The Adrian Shepherd Award for Tabletop Vignettes.
We all agreed that this ‘Photo Journalist’ taking a shot of the Turkish fleet hit the spot… Well done indeed.

Did I buy anything?

Of course I did… It wouldn’t be a proper show if I didn’t come home with stuff…



More 15mm toys (I know I haven’t even started the others…but I really needed them) and some reading material.

I also let the butterfly loose…


I know… I just can’t help myself 
It will be well into next year before I will even think about putting paint to these… 
I call this planning for the future… 😂

All the best.  Aly


24 comments:

  1. Great pics Aly, shame we never bumped into each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray…
      I caught sight of you in the distance as we were leaving…
      I will hunt you down next time 😳😂

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  2. Excellent to see you out and on the show circuit again, Aly! You left with a full shopping bag, I think. I was joking with some of my UK friends that I knew more gamers at Partizan than they!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a splendid day out Jonathan…
      I am not sure whether it would be better to take a smaller shopping bag… or a bigger one😁…
      I look forward to the time when you are there in person.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  3. Better late than never, as they say! Nice pictures, grand purchases, great to chat too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true David…
      It was indeed great to catch up.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  4. That Sino-Japanese War book isn't supposed to be out yet! Jacklex are supposed to be timing their Chinese Range to the publication date! 'It will compliment the Japanese Army range already available on this site. I hope to have the figures on the web site in time for the launch of the new Osprey Men at Arms book 'Armies of the First Sino-Japanese War 1894-95' which is due to be published on 27 October 2022.' - from https://www.jacklexminiatures.com/russo-japanese-war !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed ‘out’ Rob…
      And a very good read it is…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  5. Nice to remember all those inspirational games. So many details I don’t think I saw the painter vignette ……I feel ok though as I think you bought more than me 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good to meet you Matt…
      Partizan never fails to please… I do think it is one (two of) of the best shows in the year.
      As for purchases… you just need to try harder 😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  6. Wonderful to see so many excellent looking games Aly and quite a swag of goodies as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only shown the ones I remembered to take pictures of…
      There is definitely something for everyone…
      It’s always nice to come home with a bag of goodies.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  7. Thanks for many excellent photos of some of the games Aly. Many I had not seen before on other Blogs. The artist painting the battle is a brilliant touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a pleasure Steve…
      There is so much to see… I definitely didn’t cover everything.
      I knew the artist was a winner the minute I saw it…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  8. Some really nice-looking games there Aly and looks like you got a decent stash of "stuff" too - future proofing the lead pile, I would call it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The games were splendid Keith…
      “Future proofing the lead pile”… I like it.😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  9. Glad you enjoyed the day. The two Partizan shows take some beating in fact I would go as far and say I think they are currently the best shows out there. Your butterflies were certainly let loose and there’s always that nice feeling when you return home to look at the new shiny toys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a top day Graham…
      I think it’s healthy to let the butterfly run wild every now and then.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  10. Another excellent Partizan in the bag, great games, plenty of fine traders to separate one from Ines £s and the the chance to meet up with chums and chat. A good spread of photographic reminders of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cracking day Phil…
      It was good to see you…
      And of course come home with lots of new toys…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing your photos Aly, sadly a bit too far for me for a day trip. The photo report is very much appreciated.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking games, nice pile of toys and some good looking books, I would be interested in what you think of the Leipzieg book?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an excellent day out Iain…

      I have been looking through the Leipzig book… I will do a post when I am finished.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete