ALY MORRISON'S "BUTTERFLY" ADVENTURES IN THE WORLD OF WARGAMES AND TOY SOLDIERS

Wednesday 16 October 2024

Another Visit to Edinburgh…

Greetings…

I didn’t go to The Other Partizan this year…

Because I went to Edinburgh… 

It has been quite a while since I’ve been there…

https://alystoysoldiers.blogspot.com/search/label/Edinburgh%20Castle

This time I went with my friend Chris and his mother Joyce… Chris had invited me to join them and be their guide.

They were both over in the U.K. to attend the annual Games Workshop 10 Years Veterans dinner dance and wanted to visit Auld Reeky, 

Joyce had been there many years before and it was Chris’s first visit….



We traveled up by train on the Sunday and ended our journey in a rather splendid hotel… The Scotsman.

Next day we headed out on our adventures… Mostly in and around the Castle.

Yes… That is Scotland… Yes… That is a blue sky.

The weather was fantastic…




Views from the Castle Esplanade…


Since my last visit they have introduced a pre booking system… Which seemed to be designed to create queues…


St Margaret’s Chapel… 




 More beautiful views…



Boom… Boom… 


This is the Scottish National War Memorial…


This is where the Crown Jewels are kept…






Inside the Great Hall











Exhibits in the museums… 




Military rations… 








The Prisons of War exhibition….



Out from the museums and into the castle grounds again…
I think the One O’Clock gun is having a snooze…

By the time we had seen all we wanted to see it was late afternoon so we headed down the Royal Mile to the Deacon Brodies Tavern for delicious pies and beer…





Then it was back to the Scotsman…
 
I was actually quite surprised by how much time we had spent in the castle… Clearly time flies when you are enjoying yourself…

This was a genuine flying visit… Chris and Joyce were heading to London the next day and then back home to the States…And I was heading to Nottingham…It was a fantastic weekend and I am delighted that they invited me along.

Thank you Chris….

All the best.  Aly








4 comments:

  1. Aly,
    They do say the sun shines on the righteous.....☺
    Partizan was BUSY.......too busy and crowded for old farts like me.
    As it was, it ended up as a flying visit.
    Haven't been to Edinburgh in years......
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a righteously good weekend…
      It’s good that Partizan was busy… but I am glad I was back in Auld Reeky….

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  2. Some nice shots Aly, ages since I have been to the castle though. Partizan was fun but you would probably have bought some more soldiers and books 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can guarantee that I would have bought toy soldiers and books 🤣

      Delete