ALY MORRISON'S "BUTTERFLY" ADVENTURES IN THE WORLD OF WARGAMES AND TOY SOLDIERS

Sunday 2 January 2022

Boxing Day Game 2021


Greetings…

Well here it is… The annual humiliation that is known as ‘The Boxing Day Game’.

Mharaid and I played this as a face to face game this year…Hurrah!… And I have to admit that it was the best Christmas present I could have had.

We played with toys soldiers, Ate food, drank Mead and binge watched Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell.

And of course keeping up another seasonal tradition… I lost… Big time 😂.

For this years game we decided to play a 3rd Century Rome v’s Sassanid Persian Lion Rampant Game…

I used unit profiles that can be found on the I Live With Cats Blog…

http://ilivewithcats.blogspot.com/search/label/romans

We played a straight forward encounter type game with all the toys on the table and fairly basic stats for the units… We actually forgot to mark troops as battered unit after failing morale throws… Which  probably saved me from an even bigger drubbing…😁.

So… On to the game.

I took the part of Ignominious Infortunatus the glorious leader of the Roman force.

Mharaid took the part of Rustdashir the Great the cunning leader of the Sassanid force.



Initial deployment and start of first moves…

As Infortunatus is a high ranking official in Rome a delegation have been sent out to observe how easy it is to defeat the Sassanid rabble.

“I shall do something glorious and spectacular, then the path will be open for fame, wealth and power”

That’s me… Giving encouragement from the rear.





Persians and Romans move steadily towards each other…


The end of move two… Brace yourselves.

Charge!… For Rome, Glory and Upward Mobility…

“Testiculorum”

The very first act of move three…A slightly large bump in the road to fame and fortune.

I think Rustdashir the Great nearly laughed up a lung…😂😂😂


Of course my brave men continued and slaughtered the enemy… Their loyalty allowing me to be raised to a state of near godhood in the land of my birth….
Ah!…
“Duplex Testiculis”


So!… Cervasiam O’ Horologium…
Yup!…
Fortunately my men decided to fight on… A decision many of them would regret.


And here we see the early results of yet another school boy error…
As these Sassanid Levy had armour I decided to class them the same as Roman Auxilia.
It turns out that they didn’t need any extra help… sigh!


As the Sassanids laugh their way forwards… 
My Hand picked Equites rush on to the fleshpots of…Anywhere but here… Sigh!


The Light Horse try to outflank some Sassanid Archers…


No they don’t… 
Yeah!… 
Like I care… I’m just floating above the battlefield wondering why I’ve not been whisked to the Elysian Fields… Sigh!


With my now sort of semi divine guidance the Legionarii, Auxilia and Lanciarii gang up against these pesky Sassanid Spearmen…


With yet another spectacular roll of the dice…


The Lanciarii get bounced… Well I suppose they didn’t run away…


Unlike the Auxilia at the other end of the battlefield… Sigh!


Hey look… A lot of the other guys are going the same way as us.



Scenting Blood the Sassanids start to bear down on the now somewhat depleted Roman force…


The Legionarii throw themselves at the upstart Levy…


And chase them from the field of battle…
Yes!… Start building that triumphal Arch.


Full of enthusiasm the Lanciarii attack Nellie the Elephant…


And… Then bugger off… Sigh!


As do these Legionarii after they try and take on some Cataphracts on the other side of the battlefield…
Sigh!


As what’s left of my men throw yet another appalling activation roll…


Rustdashir the Great eyes up some more fresh meat…

At this point I graciously conceded defeat….. 

I lost five of my units and Mharaid lost only one… I was thrashed 😂.
Terrific fun… 

What the pictures don’t show is the constant attrition that Mharaid’s bow armed troops were causing…
I shall need to do as Rome did and invest in light cavalry and missile troops, also upgrading the Legionarii to have mixed weapons will help… of course new dice and more luck would also be a good thing.

Here’s to the next time…

All the best.  Aly















38 comments:

  1. Excellent report and lovely figures.

    Take consolation...you achieved a result....unfortunately just a historical one!😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stuart…
      You are of course correct… I didn’t get thrashed… I was simply trying to recreate the situation that Rome was in in the 3rd century… for educational purposes…
      Honest….😬😂

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  2. Good to see you upheld the Boxing Day tradition of a wonderful report with accompanying photos and of course the obligatory sound drubbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil…
      One does one’s best…😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  3. A lovely looking battle if not the result Infortunatus was hoping to provide the observing Senate Delegation. I guess the good news is, they can report back to the Senate Armed Forces Committee that missile troops need to be recruited, so their fact finding mission wasn't a complete wipe out! (Assuming they managed to remove themselves from harms way in time....). I was going to make a quip about upholding Chritmas traditions but PHIL beat me to it 😂 Some of the dice rolling was spectacular, I must say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Keith…
      It’s obvious (to me) that Infortunatus gave his life to expose the shortcomings of Rome’s defensive strategies…
      The delegation wasted no time in getting away… or getting to the beer.
      Unfortunately rolling bad dice seems to be one of my strong points 😂.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  4. Wonderful looking troops and a fun game by the sounds of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter…
      It certainly was a lot of fun.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful looking game! There’s something special to 3rd Century Romans the other periods somehow lack. Quite surprising though that there seems to be little interest for them though and A&A are the only ones to produce miniatures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nick…
      I think that ‘The Crisis of the 3rd Century’ says it all… Rome was beset with troubles from outside and inside the Empire… lots of interesting battles and enemies… and cool looking kit…
      I of course blame my good chums and fellow bloggers Phil Robinson and David Imrie… if they hadn’t posted such wonderful images of what they were doing my butterfly wouldn’t have dragged me in that direction… well I say dragged… it was more of a gentle nudge 😁
      Aventine also do some figures that can be used for the 3rd Century .

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  6. I did laugh, but not too much as I can't spare a lung.
    Twelve dice and nothing above a four, there's no way you'll be getting into Elysium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That picture was a good reflection of my average score throughout the game 😂

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  7. That set of dice results look quite good compared to some I've had in GHQ of late. The toys look marvellous I have to say

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David…
      I was actually trying to roll a five or a six 😂

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  8. Splendid Aly the forces look tremendous when pulled together on the battlefield and the round bases are working a treat. Perhaps we all just need more gaming 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt…
      Yes painting and playing with toy soldiers is good medicine…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  9. Lost my game against Steven as well:(

    Like mead. Personally think Polish mead is best but Moniack is nice as well. Of course, Lindisfarne mead completely acceptable...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The young seem to have all the (dice) luck…

      We were drinking Robin Hood Mead… it’s made locally I believe and it has a nice light flavour.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  10. Aly, I always look forward to your Boxing Day gaming exploits, and the 2021 edition did not disappoint. Like an old clock, you take a beating but keep on ticking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed it Jonathan…
      I am more than happy to ‘take one for the team’ if it brings a smile to your face 😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  11. Splendid looking game and keep giving the games away to keep her interested, I'm onto your ploy and you're doing a grand job of that!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain…
      I have never given away a game to Mharaid… if only things were that easy 😁
      She is a shrewd tactician who has the gods of dice on her side…
      I love it…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  12. Excellent looking game, and good fun, too, based on the report. Bonus points for binging Strange and Morrel--a fine day out (in?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ed…
      It was a joy…
      I have converted Mharaid to the pleasures Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell..
      It’s one of my favourite books/TV series…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  13. "Very pretty but kin they fight?"

    Oh Dear, So much for the omens for 2022 but at least the crowd was pleased! Surely such a sacrifice is worth the reward of a good year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a start to the new year it was the best ever…
      I am more than happy to receive many a pasting if it was as much fun as this…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  14. Playing with the kids is always a win win situation, so whatever the result was you actually won Aly! I say that as I lost when playing few board games with my kids over the Christmas period ;-)

    The toys and table look splendid by the way. Who is the manufacturer of the table mat?

    Best wishes,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Jan…
      The game, the company and the fun is way more important than a victory… Although a victory against Mharaid is a rare thing 😁.

      The mat is from Geek Villain…

      https://geekvillain.co.uk/collections/gaming-mats

      They are very nice…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  15. Looks fantastic. Some days you are destined to never have the good rolls, I'm on a streak of that myself at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul…

      I have vague memories of ‘good rolls’… it’s when the mystic number six appears.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  16. Wonderful armies and very funny reports: even if only at the end, it was good to see Nellie in action ... less good for Infortunatus...but Vae victis! Defeated the Romans, next Boxing Day will we see Sassanids against snowmen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you…
      It was good to get Nellie onto the table… even if she stomped all over my men.
      Sassanids v’s Snowmen… That sounds like an episode of Dr Who or a Pulp Fiction paperback from the 1950’s/60’s…😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  17. Keep the butterfly inspiration coming, Aly. Happy New Year! Hope it's a good one...
    Best regards
    Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil…
      Happy New Year to you and yours…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  18. Looks terrific. Figures are really nice and set off the table wonderfully. And you had fun - what more do you need from a game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul…
      Win or lose it was a great day…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  19. A hugely entertaining report of what was clearly a lot of fun (and a top looking game)—even if it was one of them days when the dice had flat batteries!
    At least the mead, food and video all worked, hey?!
    Regards, James
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you James…

      It was indeed a splendid day… hopefully we will have another game soon.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete