ALY MORRISON'S "BUTTERFLY" ADVENTURES IN THE WORLD OF WARGAMES AND TOY SOLDIERS

Sunday 13 August 2023

Shiny Napoleonics and a busy weekend…

Greetings…

Here is the next addition to my Shiny Napoleonics collection…

This is the Field Battalion Von Bennigsen…

I’ve based the uniform on the one shown in the Osprey Publications… The Hanoverian Army of the Napoleonic Wars…




I’m not sure if this is the most accurate representation of their uniforms or standards as a look on line shows a number of variations… But it is by far the prettiest…So I am going with that.





The figures are mostly Minifigs Intermediate Range with a couple of S Range in the command stand.

The Tunics are… Citadel… Evil Sunz Scarlet.
The Trousers are … Citadel… Russ Grey.
The Facings are… Foundry… Forest Green26B.
The Knapsacks are… Foundry… Drab Light 12C.
The White bits are… Citadel… Pallid Wych Flesh.
The Water Bottles are… Citadel… Hoeth Blue.
The Water Bottle straps are… Citadel… Skrag Brown.
The Greatcoats are… Citadel… Administratum Grey.
The Backpacks are… Foundry… Can as Shade 8A.


I also went to a show this weekend… In Nottingham town centre 😱

Mharaid and I went to Britcon…


We had a great time…
I felt it was busier this year … there was certainly a steady stream of people coming through when we were there…
The Two Fat Lardies had their demonstration area… Which seemed quite popular… 


There were a number of other demo games … The Retired Wargamers Reloaded… Eagles and Lions at Carentan being a splendid example…


The competition area was full of people playing games and the trade stands … while not as numerous as Partizan or Salute were adequate enough to satisfy our needs…

Both of us spent a pretty penny…

Here is my haul for the day…



Yup!…Livestock and 15mm Tanks….
I know… I hear what you are saying… Flutter Flutter Flutter 🦋🦋🦋.

So the Panzerjager. Tiger (P) 8.8cm Pak 43/2 L/71 Ferdinand /Elefant (Sd. Kfz.184) in the room is… Where are the pictures?😱

Being home territory we spent so much time meeting people, chatting and putting the world… Probably many worlds… To right… It was only as we were walking out at the end of the day that I realised that I hadn’t taken a single picture….
Hopefully the link to the Britcon webpage above will give an idea of what was there.

I’m taking that as a sign of a good time…

And…
If that wasn’t enough…I found time to sit… In the garden and finish reading a couple of books that I started a while ago…


No surprises here really… It’s the War of 1812.
I enjoyed this… Of course it covers a lot of stuff I already know but in my opinion it does it in an interesting way and shows the development of the American Army as it goes from truly terrible to quite impressive over the period of the war… My only quibble is that the maps could do with being a bit more detailed…But that aside… I would highly recommend this to anyone interested in this often unrecognised war…
And the next one was…


This is just splendid
I’ve already read Dan’s book on the Plantagenets… which I would also recommend.
This is very informative and reads like the Game of Thrones novels wishes they were… You really don’t need to make stuff up when there is history and historical writing around like this…
Spoilers here… The Tudors won… Mostly because everyone else was dead.💀.

All the best.  Aly











32 comments:

  1. Who can resist painting a unit wearing a white Belgic shako? Not me, certainly.

    Nice haul of goodies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan…
      It was indeed the white shakos that drew my butterfly in…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  2. A splendid new shiny unit! A splendid set of wildlife and a nice new{?} period to boot. I'd say that was a good day out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David…
      Yes a new period… At some point I will get some samples painted and see how easy and hopefully enjoyable the process is.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  3. Some fine looking shiny there, coupled with a splendid day out and yet another new period, can't fault you🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil…
      An all round excellent weekend I think…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a grand day out and the criteria that they were prettier sounds eminently reasonable! Nice books, I had vaguely looked at The hollow crown but will think further now I have your recommendation, I often find both in Ospreys and other military history books that the maps are the weakest link unfortunately!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A grand day out indeed…
      Pretty always wins out with me…
      My first grown up job was as a Cartographic Draftsman.. so a good map always scores points from me…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  5. Got to be one of the prettiest units, I'm surprised they didn't set a fashion for white hats. That ensign looks like he's got his hand full controlling that standard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should stand out well on the battlefield…
      Maybe that might be why the white hats didn’t become popular.
      My model ensigns don’t really appreciate my love for a big flag.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  6. I think I saw you and your daughter at the Ironclad stand (recognition based only on previously seen photos), but as we don't know each other was far too reserved to speak to you or introduce myself!
    I'd say it was busier than last year, a few traders absent (notably Caliver) - less 3D start-ups, more terrain manufacturers, only one bookseller.
    It would be nice to have a Nottingham city centre show - there's opportunities due to the demise of Derby and Triples - both of which started as competition shows / national championships.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil…
      You should have popped over and said high…It’s always nice to meet people from the blogosphere.
      I do hope the show continues…If only for the selfish reason that it is close to home.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  7. White headgear: always a stand out! What an interesting find, the Field Bn Von Benningsen (and I thought that I was really up on Napoleonic details--an important reminder that we can still all learn something!).
    Thanks for the book recommendations (particularly the Dan Jones). With my wargames room packed up in boxes, I'm returning to the simpler pleasures, like reading (and reading in the old fashioned way: actual books).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ed…
      One of the joys of the Napoleonic period is the almost endless variety of uniforms…
      What’s not to love about sitting down with a good book… I have been to houses where there was no sign of books or even pictures on the wall…😱 It felt very strange.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  8. If they have an equal chance of being accurate, going for the prettiest always sems to be the sensible answer! Looks like a nice haul as well. I really underuse the native fauna - really should do something about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Rob…
      I have quite a few beasties waiting in the lead mountain .
      I really must organise a painting session for them … They do add extra interest to the table and can indeed be used in the game/scenario…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  9. Sounds a great day out Aly and would have a must visit show if we still lived in Nottingham. I loved the Hollow Crown book which was informative and an easy and entertaining read too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed Steve…
      Yes it’s a very enjoyable book …I am thinking of picking up Summer of Blood next.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  10. Very nice indeed, who wouldn't want to paint white shako's! Looks like you've been a busy boy recently Ally?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray…
      I like to keep myself busy.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  11. Most chocolate boxy ! Very nicely done indeed and those shakos are a real eye catcher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stuart…
      I fear that in my hands the hat will simply be a target 😂

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  12. They're every bit as gorgeous as I thought they'd be, Aly. The flags set they off perfectly. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matthew…
      I do like GMB Designs flags.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  13. The white shakos appear on a couple of my War of 1812 British units Aly, so a nice tie in to two of your topics! As to the Tudors winning, they had the dragon didn't they - just like Daenerys Targaryen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a shame that the white shako didn’t become a thing…
      The big difference is Daenerys is a beautiful fantasy… But the Tudors were a set of B*#@*£&s 😂

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  14. The Hanoverians are astounding. Lovely work as always, so I guess really not so astounding, as I have come to expect it from you! Off to a con myself this weekend. I will try and keep a tight grip on my wallet so any cash I might have doesn't fly away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David…
      I hope have fun at the Con… There will definitely be something there that you really really neeeed so don’t grip the wallet too tight.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  15. A beautiful shiny unit Aly….and plenty more stuff to keep you busy 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt…
      I like to think that I am supporting the wargames industry… 😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete