ALY MORRISON'S "BUTTERFLY" ADVENTURES IN THE WORLD OF WARGAMES AND TOY SOLDIERS

Tuesday 1 August 2023

A Viking in the Sun… Byzantine Infantry.

Greetings …

A while back I posted a test unit of Normans for this butterfly project…

https://alystoysoldiers.blogspot.com/search/label/A%20Viking%20in%20the%20Sun

I have now completed a Byzantine unit…



To be honest I think my love of Rome, Late Rome and Byzantine/ Eastern Rome is becoming obvious 😂

Like the previously mentioned Normans these were a joy to paint… The figures are well cast and very cleanly detailed… I look forward to painting more.

I also painted three archers up…

My intention is to have them if I want to use a mixed weapons option that I reckon they were still using into the 11th Century…

As any force I have will probably have two units of ‘Heavy’ infantry the archers from each unit could also be combined as a single skirmish unit…

The Tunics are… Citadel… Evil Sunz Scarlet.

The White Bits are… Citadel… Pallid Wych Flesh.

The Pteruges and Chest Straps are… Citadel… Skrag Brown.

The Officers Pteruges are… Foundry… Moss Light 29C.

The Shield edge is… Foundry…Buff Leather 7B.


As always everything was given a coat of Aly’s Brown Liquid and then highlighted with the original colours.

The figures are Crusader Miniatures.

The shield and banner designs are from Little Big Men.

I have a Norman and a Byzantine cavalry unit waiting to be ‘test’ painted… But to be honest I can’t see me stopping now…

I will wait until I have cleared a bit more of the backlog that is still on the table and get a lot more Late Roman rebasing before I do anything new… He says now… But who knows what the butterfly will dictate.

So…Next… Probably more of the great rebasing project and something shiny.


All the best   Aly



24 comments:

  1. Nice start to the army. Always liked Byzantines. Etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rob…
      The Byzantines are a nice mix between East and West.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  2. Awesome as always, but if you tell me you painted those infantry shields I’ll bloomin’ scream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you JBM…
      Not even I’m that mad…They are from Little Big Men Studios.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  3. A splendid ensemble there Sir 😂

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrifically attired Byzantines, Aly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! Look forward to see where you take this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stuart…
      Hopefully it will take me to victory 😂😂😂

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  6. They are, as always, very pretty Aly - but can they fight (roll decent dice?)!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Keith…
      I’m hoping that they will get by on their good looks 😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  7. Great unit and perfect the period which offers some fascinating contests between the Byzantines and Sicilian Normans, Rus, etc. Do you have any Varangians in your lead pile?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rob…
      I have no Varangians at the moment… But it would be rude not to.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  8. Superb as always Ali. What rules are you planning on using? Years ago I painted up some Crusader miniatures for a friend, found them a joy to paint.
    Cheers
    Meic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meic…
      I am going to use Lion Rampant for now…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  9. Very nice! As to "But who knows what the butterfly will dictate."... you know they will dictate something new... Like the Nassau for me ;-)

    Best wishes,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan…
      The butterfly always takes you on such interesting journeys.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  10. Lovely work Aly…the colours are so vibrant, looking forward to the next unit 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt…
      I am really pleased how they’ve come out.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous looking late, late Romans, do they have their own TV show in Ireland?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain

      I would probably watch the Late Late Roman Show…😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete