ALY MORRISON'S "BUTTERFLY" ADVENTURES IN THE WORLD OF WARGAMES AND TOY SOLDIERS

Wednesday 26 July 2023

New Books…

Greetings…

“Hells Teeth! What’s gotten into the man?” I hear you exclaim… 😁

This time is about a couple of books I’ve just finished reading…

First up…


The Men of Warre from Helion Books by Jenn Scott…

https://www.helion.co.uk/military-history-books/the-men-of-warre-the-clothes-weapons-and-accoutrements-of-the-scots-at-war-1460-1600.php

I thoroughly enjoyed this book… It was informative and very easy to read.

The content is broken down as you see above… And is supported by lots of marvellous quotes and references all entertainingly (for the modern eye) phonetically spelled…

I think this is one of the things that really ticked my boxes for this book… I am fascinated by the development of the English/British language… It is worth noting that the sometimes weird spelling does not reflect a lack of intelligence in the Medieval to Early Renaissance writers…It displays a desire to reflect what they were saying/writing phonetically…” Correct” spelling only really comes along with the increased spread of the printed word…

My favourite phonetically spelled word from this book is… QUHYTE.

Run it round in your mind and see what you think it means…

If you are at all interested in this period of Scottish history I would wholeheartedly recommend this book.

Will I be buying toys to wargame the  Marian Civil War… Not yet…

I will leave the to my friend Stuart Insch for the moment…

https://stuartinschwargames.blogspot.com/search/label/Marian%20Civil%20War

Next up…

Byzantine Cavalryman versus Vandal Warrior from Osprey Publishing by Murray Dahm.

https://ospreypublishing.com/uk/byzantine-cavalryman-vs-vandal-warrior-9781472853714/

Splendid stuff …Up to the usual standard from Osprey and again an easy and informative read.

The contents as above… What you would expect from this series…

A good clear breakdown of the opposing forces followed by a couple of battles (actually all the battles… it was a short campaign) and analysis…

I really enjoyed this book …I’ve always been fascinated by Ancient Rome and Byzantium…With this you  also get Germanic ‘barbarian ‘ Vandal Empire in North Africa… And battles involving just cavalry.

Why has no one made a film about Belisarius ? An infinitely more interesting character than anyone on Game of Thrones.

I highly recommend this book if you are interested in Late Rome/Early Byzantine history.

So did I rush out and buy lots of Early Byzantines from Aventine Miniatures…

https://www.aventineminiatures.org/store

No of course not…

I’ve already got a bucket load in the ‘ Things to do in my retirement box’ 😂🤣😂.


All the best   Aly


QUHYTE = White… Give it a try… You will sound vaguely Scottish or Northumbrian .










17 comments:

  1. I thought it was 'quite'! The English language was only 'formalised' by a Victorian vicar IIRC. Our oft bizarre spelling comes from Flemish printers who came over and phonetically spelt English words when setting the type. All fascinating stuff to me too:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the interesting things is not just how it was spelled but how it was said/pronounced…
      Look up a thing called The Great Vowel Shift…

      This is a very good podcast on the English Language…

      https://historyofenglishpodcast.com/

      All the best. Aly…

      Delete
    2. I've never heard of the Great Vowel Shift, so thanks for the 'heads up' and fascinating to read about it. At 'A' Levels we studied Chaucer with our teacher an acknowledged expert, which was interesting and to hear how it was pronounced. Only later did I discover it really should be read with a Brummie accent!

      We have friends from Hull and as we left the beach one day, their daughter came running up saying we'd left our 'cuurrt'. Completely baffled as to what she was referring to, it was only when she pointed to hear 'coat' that we could understand her! So regional accents still have very different ways of stressing vowels even today.

      IIRC Northumbrian dialects owe more to Scandinavian than English.

      Delete
  2. A bucket load of Aventine Byzantine figures sounds a great plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is one of my best…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  3. Wonderful looking reads Aly. I too very much enjoy the Late Roman/ Early Byzantine period for our wonderful hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many pretty toys to be had within the armies and enemies of Rome.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  4. That first book looks excellent, I want it but it'll have to wait until purse strings are relaxed! The late Roman book looks good too, and as Ben Jonson said " It is a poor man who can spell a word only one way!"
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either book would be a good reward for all your austerity…
      I remember my English teacher telling me that my spelling was inventive… It turns out it was historical 😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  5. Splendid looking books Aly. Even in retirement I don’t seem to have enough time to read all the books I already have. Really looking forward to seeing all those Byzantine warriors 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wonder if I have enough time to read all my books… But as I don’t really watch TV or party like it’s 1999 anymore I think I have a good chance at finishing most of them…
      I am finding it hard not to paint some Vandals at the moment… the plan is to do this as a retirement project… but my butterfly disagrees with me 😁🦋🦋🦋

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  6. Honestly, I can’t keep up with you Aly, you’re all over the place at the moment. Some very interesting stuff going on mind you. Incidentally I thought it was “quite” as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can’t keep up with myself at the moment mate…
      Because I am reading about it doesn’t necessarily mean I am going to start collecting it… maybe 😁
      The ‘white’ spelling was a surprise to me as well… but when you say it out loud… you hear it… if you get what I mean.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  7. One can never have too many books, even more so too many on Romans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Men of Warre..... did you find any info about your Ancestors Aly? ;-)

    Best wishes,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly the is no mention of the feared military prowess of the Morrisons…😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete