ALY MORRISON'S "BUTTERFLY" ADVENTURES IN THE WORLD OF WARGAMES AND TOY SOLDIERS

Saturday 8 July 2023

Late Romans… Rebasing.

Greetings…

Last year my friend and fellow blogger David Bickley let it be know that he wished to reduce the size of his Late Roman collection…

I quite naturally jumped at the chance to help him… Thats what friends are for 😁.

A deal was done and an exchange agreed upon…  10:15… Warhammer World car park… Try and look natural etc…

Once David had made a clean getaway I checked out my loot…

A lovely collection of Wargames Foundry Late Romans…

Once I got home I examined my purchases… Given the amount of action these chaps have had they were/are in very good condition.

After some consideration I decided to give them a little bit of sprucing up…

The main thing I wanted to do was rebase them… This was initially because over time some of bases had started to warp slightly but also I felt it would … For want of a better term… Put my stamp on them (I know artistic egos get everywhere 🤣)

I decided to use a couple of 2mm bases laminated together to hopefully stop any future distortion.

While the figures were awaiting their new homes I also gave them new plastic spears (The rather useful ones from Fireforge Games), new standards , removed and spruced up the shields and brightened up any paint that was starting to look a bit worn…

The shields were either repainted , tidied up or given new transfers… 

The standards were simply replaced with fresh versions of what was originally there but on plastic poles.

My method for brightening up the paint was to match up the colours the best I could and simply give the area in question a thin glaze of  50% colour and 50% Citadel Lahmian Medium.

None of this titivating took very long… The thing I didn’t want to do was to start fully repainting anything.

The final thing I decided to do was to place the figures more or less in the positions that they originally were.

Here are a couple of finished units…


These fellows with most likely be used as Goths… 

These chaps will be used as Roman Medium Cavalry or possibly Romano-British… 

More to come…

The bases are from Warbases…

https://warbases.co.uk/

The plastic spears are from Fireforge Games…

https://fireforge-games.com/weapons/274-spears-5cm-24pcs.html


All the best   Aly



22 comments:

  1. Those are splendid, I'd never have recognised them! I'm looking forward to seeing more as and when life permits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David…
      It really was quite a light touch… most of the effort went into the shields and the bases…
      Of course a fresh coat of varnish will lift the colours on most toys.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  2. Splendidly spruced up and rebased there old chap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil…
      Rebasing is not really my favourite thing but the final result is well worth the effort.

      All the best. Aly.

      Delete
  3. You are a good and considerate friend, Aly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One tries ones best Jonathan 😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  4. Look fantastic Aly. I have quite a collection of 28mm WF Late Romans as they are a wonderfully sculpted figure range. Plastic spears have me intrigued as they may well be a godsend. Off to Fireforge I go! Thanks Aly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carlo…
      I am very fond of the Wargames Foundry Ancients Ranges…
      I’ve found the plastic spears to be very useful and in my opinion they look a lot better than wire.
      They also come in a number of different sizes.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  5. Today Late Rome, tomorrow the World... this is becoming an obsession - Whoops, too late!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was too late a long time ago 😂

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  6. A nice bit of renovation work Aly...they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work Aly the units look like new ! I’m going to look up those spears ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt…
      I am a big fan of the plastic spears, I prefer them to sharpened wire…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  8. Very nice. Top titivation work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice work - even better when you don't have to do all of it yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Warburton…
      Very true indeed…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  10. Superb! Once moved and settled I need to have a good look at my Late Romans, in both 15mm and 28mm.

    Cheers

    Meic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meic…
      I am not really a fan of rebasing but the results so far have been very encouraging…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  11. Splendid bit of refurbishment, a car park is much better than a bridge, so dreadfully cold war!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain…
      Yes we were much more 80’s 😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete