ALY MORRISON'S "BUTTERFLY" ADVENTURES IN THE WORLD OF WARGAMES AND TOY SOLDIERS

Saturday 15 July 2023

The War of 1812… A test game.

Greetings…

The other week Steven, Israel and Adam came over for a little Rebels and Patriots, War of 1812 test game…

I thought it would be better to roll bad dice with company rather than solo…

We had a simple ‘Control’ the crossroads scenario with both sides having the same more or less average stats and points…

Adam and I played the plucky British/Canadians and Steven and Israel the American interlopers…

As with the previous Lion Rampant game the chaps picked up the rules really fast… And I gave a master class in truly terrible dice throwing… Most of my units and my general… Dead or routed…😳.

I was so involved in getting thrashed that I didn’t take many photos and the ones I did take were not that useful…

Both sides made a headlong dash to the crossroads… The Americans had the good luck and found some speed… The British/Canadian’s did not have good luck and found some incoming bullets 😳.

However a local Canadian artist was in the area and managed to get a few rough sketches of some of the troops on the field of battle…






The rather dodgy photos have been transformed by the artist known as Mr My Sketch App.

Really quite pleasing…


All the best   Aly


21 comments:

  1. Great stuff Aly....I would have appreciated more sketches to get a better idea of the action.....which side you were on and who prevailed are also traditional ingredients in most battle reports, I find! Good to see you have made some new friends to play with too 😜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photos were terrible and mostly out of focus…Israel took some on his phone so I will see if he can send me copies…
      I thought I had said who was on which side… but I hadn’t.🙄
      I have now though…😁
      The lads are a bad influence on me… they have lively butterfly’s themselves…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  2. Commiserations mate. You can’t win ‘em all. Or indeed any of them by the sound of things. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup!…
      I used up a years worth of good dice at the Wild Geese weekend…
      It’s down hill all the way now 😂

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  3. You, bad dice🎲🎲🎲? Shurely Shum Mishtake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s unheard of isn’t it 😂

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  4. Can it really all be down to the dice? I know that's the only reason I ever lose... ;o) ...but perhaps there was bad move in there somewhere? If 1812 is still scratching the itch I'll send some titles that have fallen foul of my downsizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you need a 4,5 or a 6 and all you get is 1,2 and 3 it is definitely the dice…😂
      Of course the odd ill considered move may have crept in…
      I am always scratching the 1812 itch…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  5. The joy of the Bad Dice Rolling Society, easy to join but like Hotel California you will never leave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we should form a wargames club…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  6. PS. Although it is a shame not to see your finely painted toys in full game mode I do like the Mr. Sketchy shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil…
      I suppose this post is more of a diary entry rather than an AAR.
      If I had posted the originals they would have all said ‘a group of out of focus men in the woods’
      The artwork was an improvement.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed this very much! Always outstanding to see this period played.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark…
      I will try and take some more usable pictures next time…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  8. Glad to see we are back to normal after that unsettling blip earlier in the year!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the world is back on its axis…😂

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  9. It's good you found some time for a game doing all the house refurbishing work! Looks like fun.... despite the dice rolls ;-)

    Best wishes,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed fun to get the toys out of the boxes for a while and play with them.
      Hopefully this will happen more often as things start to get finished.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  10. Really like the image transformation; would really suit a Sharpe Practice AAR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meic…
      The My Sketch app is fairly basic but the results are quite effective.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete