ALY MORRISON'S "BUTTERFLY" ADVENTURES IN THE WORLD OF WARGAMES AND TOY SOLDIERS

Monday 26 February 2024

Tactica… 2024.

Wow! …

Has it been that long… Yes it has 😁

At the weekend we ( Michael, Peter and myself) made a a trip across what felt like the whole of Germany…to go to Tactica.. 

We went from Birmingham to Munich and then onto Hamburg… And the same on they way back..

Quite a trip really…

But we’ll worth it…

Tactica never fails to please…

I didn’t take as many pictures as I thought I had and some of them seemed to to have vanished from my phone… possibly because of all the X-rays the poor thing had to endure on the journey…

Or because I’m an idiot who shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near technology 🤣

Make your own choice…

A lovely WW2 Mediterranean game…
Anders Lassen- A Danish Rogue Hero.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Lassen

A lovely Warmaster game..
Backlit with Hamburg sunshine.

A splendid Vietnam game from my friend Gunner.
All 6mm figures.

A paintball game…
Yup! A game based on a game…
Love it





An incredible Lord of the Rings game /set up…


One of the many little games set up around the venue… This one was Peninsular War using Rebels and Patriots…



A lovely SAS airfield raid… Hopefully you can see that the lights are actually mini LED’s



Everybody likes a bit of Game of Thrones…




A very nice Napoleonic game from Team for Historical Simulations…












This was my favourite game… 

An Asymmetric Warfare rules game set in a Favela…
Put on by Team Wurfelkrieg 
It certainly looked like an inviting place to live…😳
The little details were wonderfully done and very inspiring…

And did I buy anything…

Of course I did… but I was restrained… There was only so much I could carry on as hand luggage after all 🤣.



The Disc World stuff is a present for my daughter…
The resin toys are some Normans from Brother Vinni..


The incredibly small and detailed Van Dyke WSS figures are for an idea I have had for a long time to do alternative forces for Travel Battle… I was at a weak moment at the end of a long day… They made me do it… 🤣


The book???? Do I really need to give you a reason….

It was really lovely to see everyone and a massive thanks goes out to everyone who organised this splendid event.

All the best.  Aly










28 comments:

  1. Amazing games, and an even more amazing excursion--a rather extravagant means for maintaining purchasing discipline, but an effective one, I must admit (unless you posted things home to yourself that you aren't telling us about...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The games at Tactica are always of a high standard… and pretty much all of them are participation games…
      I was indeed tempted to get my friends to post stuff on to me…
      But I behaved myself…
      There is after all another show in Newark next week…
      https://www.hammerheadshow.co.uk/
      😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  2. A gorgeous exhibition and an adventurous experience: the gaming tables were wonderful, both the historical ones and the fantasy ones.
    The Warmaster's table, in addition to having spectacular elements and being crowded with miniatures, also had a very scenographic light... All that was missing was a tiny wizard who said: "At dawn, look to the East"! Very nice purchases: lucky that the hand luggage has a space limit, otherwise we are sure that entire armies would have marched out of Germany across the Channel to camp in a certain cellar... 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I was expecting to see Gandalf on the Warmaster table…
      The show was well worth our journey… I was impressed by my restraint… even if it was forced on me 😁
      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  3. A bit of an adventure never disappointed does it? Very restrained purchases, I shall encourage you to be more extravagant at Hammerhead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed an adventure…
      We certainly flew over a lot of Germany…
      There will be a lot less restraint at Hammerhead 🤣

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  4. Some absolutely stunning games there, the Warmaster and the GoT ones look particularly stunning. Be very interested in seeing your work on the Van Dyke minis as they are lovely little figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were indeed a lot of stunning games Donnie…
      I am also interested in seeing how my work goes on the Van Dykes.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  5. Thats quite a trip to a wargames show Aly! I might be profiling here, but I often think the European gamers put an extra level of effort into their terrain and scenery - its genuinely at model railway layout standard in many of your pictures - real eye candy, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed a flying visit this time often we stay for a bit longer .
      But it was certainly worth it to see all these lovely games and catch up with old friends…
      The extra effort with the scenery certainly pays off…
      I think most if not all of the games were participation games… the opportunity to play on such beautiful tables meant there were quite literally queues to take part…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  6. What a great road trip! I have a few battalions-worth of Van Dyke WSS figures as a “test”. The figures are exquisite. Good luck with your new project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed a great road trip… Bing Crosby and Bob Hope would have been proud of us…
      I’ve had my eye on the Van Dykes for a while… I’m not sure when I will get round to painting them but I think that they will be fun.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  7. Thanks for all the pics, I am intrigued by using the Van Dyke for Travel Battle, that is going to look really nice, will you keep the same sized boards ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a pleasure Norm…
      Yes I am going to keep everything the same… Only the toys will change…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  8. A Wargamers Travel Man there Aly. Splendid tables on display and a fine "little" collection of souvenirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly brings a new meaning to Travel Battle…
      I am sure I can improve on my little collection at Hammerhead 😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a good trip. What wonderful displays, especially the smaller ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed a good trip Stuart…
      The games are all of a very high standard… The smaller tables attached as much interest as the larger ones…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  10. Some impressive set ups there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like some splendid games! Sounds like a fun road trip and impressive restraint,forced or otherwise!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed a fun… If tiring trip…
      I am just getting over the shock of my own restraint… I should be fine by the time I get to Hammerhead on Saturday 🤣

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  12. Some incredible looking games. The LotR game especially!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pictures don’t do justice to the size of the LotR game… some of the towers were taller than me…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  13. That favela setup is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Favela was indeed stunning… It was in my humble opinion the best game at the show…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  14. Nice outing with some nice looking games.
    Will look out for you at Hammerhead.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed a jolly fun weekend outing…
      You will no doubt spot me underneath my pile of reckless spontaneous purchases… restraint only goes so far 🤣

      All the best. Aly

      Delete