ALY MORRISON'S "BUTTERFLY" ADVENTURES IN THE WORLD OF WARGAMES AND TOY SOLDIERS

Saturday 2 March 2024

Hammerhead 2024.

Greetings…

It was a nice early start today as we set off to Newark Show Ground for this years Hammerhead Show.

I’ve become very fond of this event over the years… Unlike a lot of other U.K. shows this one is all participation games and I think it makes for a ver different atmosphere… 

It seemed to me that there were a lot more younger people and more women … Similar in a lot of ways to Tactica.

People are more engaged with the games and tend to stay longer… Unlike me this time… I only had about two hours to run around like a mad spending fool 🤣.

Here are some pictures of a few of the games that caught my eye… There were actually 38 participation games so I missed a lot but also didn’t get a chance to take a decent picture of others… Due to … ‘shock horror’!… people getting in the way while enjoying themselves 🤣😂🤣

All the tables looked busy which can only be a good thing.



A nice looking Conquistador Game from Like a Stone Wall Wargames Group.


What a Beaver…French and Indian wars… From the Forest Outlaws Gaming Club.








Toonkrieg WW11 Bash.. From Reveille Studios.
Delightful bonkers stuff beautifully presented… Just the sort of game I like.


Just Follow the Rhynes… From the Very British Civil war Forum (I Think).


Kiss Me Hardy 2… From the Harrogate Wargames Club.



What a Cowboy… From The Bunker.
Cowboys and Dinosaurs… What’s not to like.



The Eagle Has Landed…Sort Of! … From the Cowards Wargames Club.
Oberst Steiner v’s Captain Mainwarings Home Guard.

And of course… 


Terrain and Paint…


Books and Rules…

And…


Something good and silly 😁

It was a quick but very enjoyable visit… I also managed to catch up with a fair few people but I know I missed a fair few more…
Hopefully I will have more time at Partizan.

All the best.  Aly


31 comments:

  1. Looks like a good show and a handsome pile of loot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed Jonathan…
      Yes I think I did rather well with my purchases given the time I had…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  2. Everytime I saw you Aly, you were deep in conversation....
    Don't know how you found time forvall that shopping!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised how many people I got to chat to…
      I could say my shopping was carefully planned ahead of time… but it wasn’t 🤣… I just let the butterfly go and then followed with the credit card 🤣

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  3. Your appearance on the show gave us an interesting perspective on the variety of gaming tables (we assume that there was some classic fantasy in there too).
    We love the scenario with the Nazi troops represented by caricatured miniatures - a bit of healthy humor helps when recalling such historical periods...
    This time you buy like crazy, don't you? Many different items, so your butterfly will be spoiled for choice for future projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always an excellent mix of games at Hammerhead covering everything from classical fantasy through to epic Sci-Fi
      The Toonkrieg was just the right mix of cool looking toys and goofy humour…
      The butterfly was delighted to flutter free for a while 🦋🦋🦋

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  4. Looks a great show and some excellent looking games too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed Ray…
      Maybe you will make it up next year…😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  5. Good show wasn't it - lots to see and spend money on. I bought some roads - as you do. Saw you out of the corner of my eye, but you were very busy taking photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it gets better every year Rick…
      How many miles of road did you get?🤣
      You most certainly witnessed my paparazzi style dash back to the exit…
      All the best. Aly

      Delete
    2. About 8 feet but I shall be ordering more - Early War Miniatures latex trackways - very impressed with these and there are a few different types and sizes. Sorry not to get a chance to say hi - but no doubt we shall share tales of the hobby butterfly soon enough :)

      Delete
  6. Shame you only had a couple of hours Aly cos it looked like a great show - that Toonkrieg stuff IS a bit weird and probably not to everyone's taste, but it looks stunning to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I made the most of my two hours… goodness knows what it would have spent if I had had a few more 🤣
      The Toonkrieg may not have been to everyone’s taste but the amount of effort and eye for detail surpassed many a historical WW2 game that I have seen in the past…
      If I had had enough time this is a game I would have liked to join in.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  7. Well, for a quick walk through, that's a nice string of photos. Thanks for capturing and sharing them. The more you look, the more you see in these games: Winnie out back on the croquet lawn in the Eagle Has Landed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was so much more to see Ed…
      The Eagle Has Landed game was a little cracker… Small but still filled with interesting little details…
      If I had had more time I would have loved to have had a game.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  8. Looks like it was a cracking show, some good looking games on show and some nice purchases, I will be getting the Quar set myself, too good not to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s well worth a visit Donnie…
      It’s good to see that you are Quar aware 🤣😂🤣

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  9. Fine photos and purchases there. Nice to say hello if all to brief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was still quite restrained 😁
      It was good to see you… Hopefully we shall have more time in May…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  10. Splendid Aly, I would love to have gone but not this time. Some great looking games 👍 what on Earth are those Quar things ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a grand show indeed… Will you be getting to any of the Partizans?
      For information on the Quar’s War… look here…
      https://zombiesmith.com/
      And here…
      https://rhyfler.com/rulebooks/
      It’s all delightfully daft…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  11. Great photos. A bit too far north for me but I'll get there one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jim…
      It’s well worth the trip.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  12. Nice to meet up Nd chat for a while. I'm glad to see my encouragement to buy more bore fruit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good to see you old chap…
      With all that encouragement just imagine if I had stayed longer 😱

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  13. Thanks for the photos. I do really like the new Rapid Fire Reloaded booklets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a pleasure Norm…
      Yes I was very taken by the new Rapid Fire stuff…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  14. Thanks for sharing Aly, obviously a fantastic event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a pleasure Phil…
      It was indeed a splendid event…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  15. Thanks for sharing Aly, might treat myself next year and visit this show.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a pleasure Willz…
      It’s well worth the journey old chap…
      All the best. Aly

      Delete