ALY MORRISON'S "BUTTERFLY" ADVENTURES IN THE WORLD OF WARGAMES AND TOY SOLDIERS

Wednesday 17 July 2024

From My Side of the Table… Lion Rampant War of the Roses.

Or…. The Perils of Beryl and her Bucket of Message… 😳

Greetings…

The youngsters and I recently played another game of War of the Roses using Lion Rampant…

The scenario we chose was the Fugitive…. Who remembers the 1963 T.V. series.?

Israel and I were the ‘Rescuers’… While Matt and Alessandro were the all out villains.


My brave boys prepare themselves for battle… Looking glorious.

The opposing forces face each other off…. Our Fugitive was hidden in one of the terrain pieces set up across the middle-ish of the table…

A nice view of our men arrayed along the battlefield… Very pretty… Wouldn’t you say. 😀

I make a dash towards the Manor House… This was probably the fastest I moved all game… And of course there was no one there… I mean why would the be… It was me rolling the dice 🤣.

I also sent some archers over to dissuade Alessandro from coming any closer… Of course it didn’t work…  My men just wandered at a leisurely pace picking flowers and taking in the fine weather… Veteran Archers… I think not Me’Lord.😡


Israel skipped forward into the woods in front of him and scooped up the Fugitive…

She was carrying a bucket with something ‘Important’ in it… It smelt funny… So I didn’t ask.

While my men were in a good position in the Manor House I thought they could take advantage of their tactically superior position and shoot some arrows at Matt’s men as they crossed the river… They didn’t!

I think they got distracted by the wine cellar… Well not the cellar… Which is well known in the area for being very clean and dry… Just the contents 🍷🍷🍷

Before… 

Glory awaits me…

After…

Waiting for a bus…🤣

I’m still alive… Myself and the Standard Bearer were removed as they were the ‘two’ figure stand… Shame and fear of being laughed at may also have been a factor….

Matt’s men cross the river and start to chase down Israel and the Fugitive…I think we christened her Beryl 

My men?….. Still trying to string their bows/stand up/get out the well… Who knows.

Oh!…Look!… It’s my other ‘Veteran’ Archers…

“ Turn around you idiots… They are behind you!… And you missed the party in the Manor… Not that it’s done me any good.🙄


The party animals actually shot at something… Not sure what it was though…
My Billmen are waiting to get stabby…

That’s me in that field… A man of reduced circumstances one might say… And that yellow dot isn’t Wee… 
It’s a Battered Marker….. 

Okay….It’s Wee 😳.


Israel’s men surround Beryl and her ‘message’ in a bucket… Protecting her from the unwarranted advances of Matt’s archers…


Sigh!…

No they are not hitting anyone/thing…


My men hold on bravely to the Wine Cellar/Manor House buying time for me to… Head off to an important Blue Sky Thinking Conference in London…

We still have London?


I wasn’t bribed…
Honest….


Israel, Beryl and her Bucket of Message… Leave the field of battle.

A Victory… Hurrah!…

Of course if I hadn’t had the raw courage to put myself forwards as a massive speed bump for the Matt and Alessandro’s villainous men we may not have gained this glorious victory and who knows what might have happened to poor old Beryl and her Bucket of Message.. Blah! Blah! Blah!

What a top game … We had so much fun and laughed a lot… 

Just what you need at the end of a busy day/week…

Here’s to the next one…

All the best.  Aly



















27 comments:

  1. Great looking table and figures and a good report, looks and sounds like it was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donnie it certainly was a lot of fun….

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  2. A bucketful of gaming goodness greatly narrated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 🎼🎵🎶There's a hole in her bucket... Sounds as if you had fun at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David…
      I think there was something a lot less savoury than a hole in that bucket 😳…
      We certainly had fun….

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  4. Lots of fun to be had with Lion Rampant, that's for sure! Superb looking figures and terrain and love the 3-2-1 basing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Steve…
      I picked up the basing style from Michael Leck… It works really well.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  5. Good stuff Aly lovely collection of figures and of course a win is a win 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt…
      You of course correct… A win is A win 😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  6. In an uncertain world, it's nice to see some things remain reassuringly consistent ..... I am referring, of course, to your dice rolling prowess Aly! Lovely looking game and its great that you can laugh at your own ill fortune and have fun in the process - I am sure the dram helped too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Keith….
      If I start rolling high they say the world will go all topsy turvy… Then the Four Riders of the Apocalypse will turn up 💀😳🤣

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  7. Archers who won't shoot seems a common trope with Lion Rampant. Fun, but sometimes frustrating, TMWWBK is 'better' in this respect in that most troops have some activations they can aways do (i.e. free activation for some action types).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rob…
      We quite like the uncertainty of it all it adds a bit of chaos to the game…
      I do however rate The Men Who Would be Kings…It’s a good variant of the Rampant system

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  8. That sounds like it was a lot of fun 😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. "They also serve who stand and wait"

    and stand in the way and don't activate

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My battle in a nutshell 🤣

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing 15th century eye candy, good looking game.

      Willz.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Willz….

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
    4. That's good, Ed! Reminds me of many a Rebels and Patriots' game.

      Delete
  10. That looked a blast! Top quality game Sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray…
      It was indeed a lot of fun…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you Christopher…
      It was also lots of fun.😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  12. Excellent looking battle and I have experienced similar Rampant type games at least you won! Message in a bucket, wasn't that by the Police, together with Sue Lawly off Nationwide?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain…

      It’s nice to know that there is someone else out there who is daft enough to spot a subtle/almost invisible music reference 😁
      The Police were rather fond of Sue Lawly 😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete