ALY MORRISON'S "BUTTERFLY" ADVENTURES IN THE WORLD OF WARGAMES AND TOY SOLDIERS

Sunday 29 March 2020

Lion Rampant... Sassanid Cataphracts.

Greetings...
I have now finished another unit...
This time it is some more Sassanid Cataphracts...






Everything has been painted in my usual manner...
Citadel Contrast brown shades for the horses...
Block colours for the rest followed by an Aly's Brown Liquid wash... then highlighted.


The previous unit had a blue theme to it so I have gone pink/red this time...


Tunics, Trousers and Cloth Barding... Citadel.... Mephiston Red, Wazdaka Red or Pink Horror.
Leather Goods... Citadel... Skrag Brown or Doombull Brown.
The Yellow bits are... Foundry... Ochre 4B.
The Kontos is... Citadel... Evil Sunz Scarlet.


The bases are unfinished... I will probably be doing this in a couple of batches after I have got a few more units painted.


I really like the way the colour theming on these has come together....


I think that the next Cataphract unit will have a green theme...



 The miniatures are...
A&A...  https://www.aandaminiatures.co.uk/
Aventine... https://aventineminiatures.co.uk/

The shield transfers are...
Little Big Men Studios... https://www.littlebigmenstudios.com/


The paints are Wargames Foundry and Citadel...
https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/paint
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Painting-Modelling


And the bases are...
Warbases... https://warbases.co.uk/


All the best... And stay safe...   Aly





34 comments:

  1. Very fine work there Aly, very fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David...

      I think that this unit has worked particularly well...

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  2. A fine array of men in tin Aly👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil...
      I can’t imagine that it was a very comfortable way to fight...

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  3. Striking results, Aly! The combination of silvered armor with red and yellow is eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan...
      I think that this is going to be a rather pretty little force when it is done...

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  4. First class heavy cavalry Aly, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're like jewels, Aly!
    All the best
    WM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt...
      Let’s hope they shine on the battlefield...

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  6. As everyone else has said Aly, beutifully painted miniatures. What's the idea behind the round bases...is this the latest fashion is is there a practical purpose to it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Keith...
      I’ve gone for the round bases ...
      A. Because I like the way they look...
      B. Michael Leck has been using them in all the rules he has worked on for Osprey, Pikeman’s Lament and Rebels and Patriots...
      C. They look really good....
      D. It seems to be quite a flexible system and I think that it will work with most big skirmish rules...
      E. Oh!... They look really good...
      F. I am hip and down with the kids....
      ;-) :-) :-) .....

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
    2. I certainly agree with points a, c and e Aly...not so sure about f though 😆

      Delete
    3. Yeh! I was pushing it a bit with F.
      😂

      Delete
  7. Those are lovely! I really like the red spear shafts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nate..
      The spears stand out nicely...
      The ‘Green’ unit will have green spears... I suspect that is the thing that you will see most clearly on the table...

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  8. Splendid! A Green theme is a good idea. When deploying for battle you can mention in passing that this is your 'Green unit', they might misunderstand when making their battleplan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ross...

      I like your thinking...;-)

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  9. Fantastic Aly, I love my Sassanids also, they really can be a great looking army. Looking forward to the next unit

    Cheers
    Matt
    French Wargame Holidays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt...
      They are a very pretty army indeed...


      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  10. Really lovely. I must try laying a wash earlier in the process. I have hesitated in case the paint re-activates the wash and makes the colour mucky ..... but obviously not as your stuff looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Norm...
      I have never had any problems with colours bleeding through...
      I only use GW washes and Contrast Colours... so I don’t really know what other inks are like...

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  11. These are magnificent Aly. The details are so crisp. Really a tour de force of skill and design! Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent looking cataphracts Aly!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely figs. I'd nether thought of using "Lion" for this period....hmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stuart...
      I think it will work with a couple of tweaks...
      I got some good looking troop stats from the I Live With Cats Blog...

      http://ilivewithcats.blogspot.com/

      It a rather good blog...

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  14. Gorgeous looking cataphracts! Lovely colour combos on some striking figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain...
      They are a joy to paint....

      All the best. Aly

      Delete