ALY MORRISON'S "BUTTERFLY" ADVENTURES IN THE WORLD OF WARGAMES AND TOY SOLDIERS

Thursday 31 March 2022

Shiny Napoleonics… The French 4th Line Infantry.

Greetings…

As I am making very slow process on my next unit of War of 1812 figures… 

(I suspect this is because of the state of incredible weariness I find myself in…I am putting this down to the whole post viral /Covid thing… I know a couple of people who have experienced this… and I am told it will pass…)

I thought I would post something that I have been keeping in reserve…

Shiny French Napoleonics…

I have painted these chaps up to represent the 4th Line Infantry at around 1813… In my (Shiny) world they are at a stage where they have received their nice new uniforms and standards but are hanging on to their Cords and Flounders… Or Folderoy and Lah De Dah…( It’s what my mother called anything ‘Fancy’)…

I like the mix… It’s a lot of my favourite bits all in the one place.





The figures are mostly Minifigs Intermediate Range… I think the Officer is S Range…

As always these toys were a joy to paint and they always bring a smile to my face…

The Tunics are… Citadel… Kantor Blue.

The White bits are… Citadel… Pallid Wytch Flesh.

The Red bits are… Citadel… Evil Sunz Scarlet.

The Green bits are… Citadel… Warboss Green.

The Yellow bit are… Foundry… Ochre 4B.

The Belts are… Citadel… Corax White.

The Backpacks and Muskets are… Citadel… Mournfang Brown.

The Water Bottles are… Foundry… Boneyard Shade 9A.

The Water Bottle Straps are… Citadel… Deathclaw Brown.


Everything was given a coat of Aly’s Brown Liquid and highlighted with the original colours. The Belts were also highlighted up to a pure White.

The paints are Wargames Foundry and Citadel...

https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/paint
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Painting-Modelling

The bases are as always...

https://warbases.co.uk/product-category/bases/round-cornered-bases/

The Flag is GMB Designs...

Hopefully I will have more War of 1812 to show next…
If not…. I do still have something shiny waiting in the wings.

All the best.  Aly



38 comments:

  1. More shiny Frenchmen! Excellent! This is such a classic pose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan…
      It is indeed a classic Minifigs pose…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  2. And very dapper they look too, topping stuff Aly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil…
      Dapper indeed… I wish I had their tailor…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  3. And very nice they look too Aly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any more like this and you'll start a stampede for early Minifigs on ebay, Aly. They're exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matthew…

      I thought I had most of the available early Minifigs 😂

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  5. Lovely shiny French men!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exactly how Napoleonics ought to look. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look wonderful Aly. They very much remind me of the French infantry in Napoleonic Wargaming, if I got the title tight, by Charles Grant upstairs on the shelf. As a boy I looked at those photos for ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carlo..
      I also have a very well thumbed copy of Napoleonic Wargaming…
      It’s a shame that the photo quality isn’t as good as you get nowadays…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  8. They bring a smile of pleasure to my face too when I look at them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Ross… thank you.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  9. Shiny and lovely as always:).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely work Aly. I have a work colleague who suffered from post-COVID fatigue. It took about 10 days for her to come right, but she is 30-35 years younger than you or I! Hope you get through it all soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark…
      Yes Covid is a disease that just keeps giving…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  11. A very colourful military formation! For the miniatures of Napoleonic soldiers that we are still painting, we researched the uniforms of this period, which we did not know well: it is surprising how many white garments there are for soldiers who have to march through the dust and mud. We believe they remained white only for a short time, or only in a "shiny world"!
    We observe that among your soldiers not only the fashion of the uniform changes, but also the beard look, since the back ranks are all mustachioed, while the first ones are shaved... maybe the barber was at work when the order to advance was suddenly given?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you…
      Yes I think that they would not have looked as ‘shiny’ in real life as they do on the table…
      The moustachioed men are the ‘Flank’ or ‘Elite’ company men who in most European armies of the Napoleonic Wars were the only soldiers allowed to sport facial hair…
      It was a visible sign that they were a privileged group…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  12. Nice work Aly - I had a few of each of these poses back in the late seventies - they are long gone though, flogged off with the bulk of my old codgers to fund purchases of shiny new (pun intended) Front Rank figures from Mr M Strachan about thirty years ago, at the start of my second bout of this affliction - hopefully your Covid aftermath dissipates more quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Keith…
      All new toy soldiers are by their nature ‘shiny’…
      You made a good choice with Front Rank…

      I am feeling a bit better every day…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  13. They look stunning Aly and it is always great to the old S Range figures brought back to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bob…

      The S Range scrub up rather well…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  14. Well now those are just about enough to make me shout Vive le'Empereur! Wait, aren't you playing the British at Vimiero? Are you so confidant that you are trying to give the French additional strength?

    Really well done Aly!

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David…

      More targets more fun 😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  15. bringing back memories for this post Aly, some of my first metal miniatures!

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you like them Matt…

    Hopefully it is good memories…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete