ALY MORRISON'S "BUTTERFLY" ADVENTURES IN THE WORLD OF WARGAMES AND TOY SOLDIERS

Thursday 14 September 2023

Guess what… Another Book.

Greetings…

What a surprise …

I’ve read another book… And it is one that is quite on trend (As the young hipsters would say) with what I am doing at the moment.

Osprey Publishing’s Late Roman Infantryman versus Gothic Warrior…

https://ospreypublishing.com/uk/late-roman-infantryman-vs-gothic-warrior-9781472845283/

This was very good and certainly up to standard I have come to expect from Osprey…

The contents were a similar format to all the other books in this series…

The only criticism I would have was the amount of references added into the body of the text (Rather than at the foot of the page or at the back of the book)…

I found at times this… for me… really distracted from the main narrative…

Once I got used to it I learned to just skip over them…But I did have to read a couple of sections more than once.

A small gripe in the grand scheme of things and I am still glad I bought the book.


All the best   Aly


12 comments:

  1. Looks like a lovely on trend book! Get thee behind me Aly as I'm trying to save money!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing more tempting than temptation 😁
      Go on… You know you want to.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  2. It's nice to make the time to read a book, Aly...I don't do enough of it. Those inline references would bother me too. I can tell you as a publisher of technical information it is one of the biggest typographical no nos...a huge inhibitor to comprehension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always try and make time for a bit of reading… I helps that I don’t really watch TV…
      The references certainly break up the flow of the narrative.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  3. One I might pick up at some point if only for the pretty pictures🙂 The book I am looking out for is "Dice and How to Make Them Work for You"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do find that book can you pick up a copy for me as well 😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  4. I'm with Mark on this one. This isn't a thesis (though perhaps it was). But that said the Combat series are usually good and, of course, Ospreys still inspire. Let us see where it takes you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the feeling that this may well have been based on a thesis.
      That said it has added impetus to my rebasing… there are actually some Goths waiting patiently for their turn.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  5. Another book! What a surprise!! I shall take a peek if Phil buys a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who would have thought it…😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  6. This is a lovely series, I have started to move some purchases to my kindle to give some relief to the old shelves! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed…
      I still prefer a paper book .

      All the best. Aly

      Delete