ALY MORRISON'S "BUTTERFLY" ADVENTURES IN THE WORLD OF WARGAMES AND TOY SOLDIERS

Thursday 4 May 2023

New Books…

Greetings…

I haven’t posted any book acquisitions for a while… and I have indeed being acquiring books.

This books comes from my good friend David Crook with Bob Cordery 


I got this a while ago… it’s a cracker.

I’ve always wanted to do naval wargames… but I have been put off by the complexity of most rules …and models… full rigging anyone ?

David simplifies the rules intelligently and appears to give a good feel of naval warfare in this period .

As well as the rules there is a short history of early Ironclads and a list of the various wars in which Ironclads saw action by Bob Cordery.

The models that David uses for his games are delightful, simple and evocative… they remind me of old tinplate ships from the turn of the 20th century…

Even better he includes a section on modelling his fleets…

Yes I am of course biased… David is my friend and the rules are good…but I have not been bribed in any way…even though David knows perfectly well that I really like a good single malt whisky 😁.

You can read more of David’s adventures in creating this book here…

http://awargamingodyssey.blogspot.com/search/label/ACW%20%20Naval

Has this caused me to rush out and buy a book on American Civil War Ironclads…

No!…

Honestly…. No!…

I have absolutely not bought any books on American Civil War Ironclads…

None!…

Hmmmmm!…. 


All the best   Aly





18 comments:

  1. Your butterfly ranges far and wide. Naval gaming leaves me all at sea, that I once rammed my own sides flagship says it all😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no immediate plans to start naval wargaming Phil…but I do find the subject fascinating… and I am always impressed by lovely model ships…
      So never say never 😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  2. Hello there Aly,

    Thank you very much for your kind words old chap - the bottle of single malt is in the post…. :-)

    The ‘Black Battlefleet’ is a worthy subject for study and Tumbling Dice make some cracking models in 1:2400th. I have built a single Royal Navy ship for the period - HMS Superb - as a kind of ‘proof of concept’ and indeed, she has seen action against the Turks under the command of Captain Bellend….

    The real beauty of naval wargaming is the simple fact that for the most part you can ‘have a go’ very cheaply so it is a great subject for a self contained project so go on, you know you want to….

    All the best and many thanks once again, I am still blushing…

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Credit where credit is due old chap…
      Yes I have had a look at the Tumbling Dice ships… Flutter 🦋

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  3. The butterfly goes to sea? Iron(clad) Butterfly?? Actually....it sounds like an interesting book...I may have a flutter too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see you getting into this kind of thing Stuart…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  4. Careful Aly, things don't end well when butterflies venture out over large bodies of water. But this reminds me that I have full fleets for the Austrians and Italians in 1866...must get them out again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1866 Austrian and Italian Fleets!…
      Get them out…. Please 😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  5. Very nice Aly. I’ve followed AJ Wrights naval games as well lately and their is something about First World War actions that does intrigue me. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hundred years between 1814 and 1914 see an incredible change in naval warfare… reading about all these changes and in some cases where things seem to stay they same has always fascinated me.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  6. If you are not careful Aly, you will have to change the name of your blog to Alys Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Keith… reading the history is as much my hobby as is painting and playing with toy soldiers.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  7. You'll be building and painting up Ironclads in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have enjoyed a few naval games; Ancients, Napoleonic and WWII but lack an enthusiastic opponent or two. I always fancied two Langton Miniatures 1/300 frigates à la Master & Commander but the modelling skills beyond my limited set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s the amount of potential work that puts me off getting into naval gaming…
      The Langton Miniatures are an excellent example of beautiful workmanship… but the rigging terrifies me….

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  9. Warrior to Dreadnought is a fascinating period full of odd inovations ,I'm sure you could have great fun with it!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always in the back of my mind to one day do something in this period…
      I am sure it will happen 😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete