ALY MORRISON'S "BUTTERFLY" ADVENTURES IN THE WORLD OF WARGAMES AND TOY SOLDIERS

Sunday 21 May 2023

Partizan 2023… The butterfly landed.

Greetings…

I had a splendid day today at Partizan…

As always this is a fantastic show filled with beautiful games and lovely people…

I got a nice early lift and we arrived to join the end of a moderate sized queue… It was nice and lively when we got inside.

We headed off in our various directions to shop and look at all the lovely games…

As is always with this show I can barely walk ten feet without bumping into someone I know… this is one of the things I love about Partizan… it attracts fellow gamers from all over the country and it is a joy to catch up with everyone face to face…

The games were no disappointment…

Here are a few that caught my attention…



Mark’s Little Soldiers…

Well of course this ticks all the boxes for me… well designed and charmingly characterful figures as you would expected from the talented hands of Mark Copplestone and a lovely stylistic game…

Yup! You can probably tell that I like this…


Some crazy Zombie action from Burton and District Wargames… walking dead good.😳





The Battle - December 1862 from The Bayonets…

Or… Civil war action from the Double Daves (Andrews and Imirie ).



Mega Napoleonics from Wargames Holidays in Yorkshire…



The Battle of Ipsus from To The Strongest… lots and lots of pointy sticks.


A very lush looking American Civil War game from 1st Corps…


More nice Napoleonics from the Sheffield and Rotherham Wargames Club…



Operation Barbarossa from The Derby Wargames Club…


English Civill War action from The Iron Brigade… ECW/Pike and Shotte has never been one of my favourites… but I am finding that my butterfly is starting to warm to it of late.



Lovely WW2 action from Retired Wargamers Reloaded…


Yet more Napoleonics… This time from The Old Guard…



Catch The Pigeon… From Huntingdon and District Wargames Society… What’s not to like.




And back to more shots from Marks lovely game…

Mark also had a few test/experimental figures from different periods…


Well what can I say… count me in 😁…

The vignette that caught my eye this year was this beautiful riverside well from the Boondock Sayntes…
A mixture of vignette and terrain… very nice indeed.



So what did the butterfly get up to?…


Flags of War… War of Austrian Succession…
I’ve been picking up some of these at every show they attend… My intention is to keep them as a retirement project… but you never know…


Yup! A box load of Marks Little Soldiers some Interwar Armoured Cars and a Tractor…
That was always going to happen 😂🤣😂… I won’t be diving into this right away… but the diving will be happening.


The butterfly made me do it…
British and French Early Ironclads from Tumbling Dice Miniatures 😳

A present from my friend Phil…


He had to many 3rd Century Romans…
Thank you very much…

Some very necessary books…


And the reason my bag was so heavy…


Thank you Master O’Brien…
It is delicious…😋.

All the best.  Aly




















36 comments:

  1. So many great looking games to admire. You returned with quite the hefty-looking back of loot. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan…
      It was a good show this year.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  2. A grand day out...and lovely goodies too. Have to say those "other periods" of Mark's are VERY nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A grand day out indeed Stuart…
      Yes it’s all very tempting.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a grand day out Aly. Partizan is definitely a show I’d love to get to one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Partizan is well worth the effort Carlo…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  4. Oh to be able to attend a gaming convention with a big bottle of good Whiskey. Sigh, perhaps someday... What a lovely looking haul of toys you found. That should keep your brush busy for a few days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whiskey did add some weight to my bag… but it made for a nice treat when I got home.
      The ‘Haul’ is certainly a butterflies delight 😁🦋

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  5. Great Show Aly, wish we could have been there a bit far from Melbourne Oz. Those experimental figures from Mark Coppletone look very toy soldiery indeed. Best wishes- Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would certainly have been a bit of a long weekend for you to get there Quinn…but I am sure you would have enjoyed it.
      Mark’s toys were indeed very toy soldiery and very lovely.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  6. You certainly had a Grand Day Out. Always good to meet and chat, as you say one of the joys of Partizan is the many friends we meet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fine day out indeed David…
      It’s always good to catch up with friends… all we need is that quiet comfy zone 😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  7. It was good to meet up and chat amongst all the wargaming goodness. I particularly liked the discourse on the shape of tractors, I look forward to seeing how it pans out🙂
    There I was thinking the weight was all toys and books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always good to catch up with you old chap…
      Tractors are an important subject in the land of Poltrovia… as the world will one day find out 😁
      The whiskey may have added to the weight of my bag but it certainly lightened my heart when I got home.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  8. It was a very enjoyable day with a lot of temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos of some great games Aly. It was good to meet up and have a chat as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray…
      It was indeed good to catch up… did you buy some boats in the end?

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
    2. Nope, I'll have to have a chat with Mr Hilton, me thinks?

      Delete
    3. He does some very nice toys…

      Delete
  10. Hi Aly,

    Looks like a ‘reet good day oot!’ - pleased to see the ironclads and as for the Mark Copplestone stuff - lovely! The bottle at the end of the day should have taken the sting out of the sore feet for sure!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a grand day to be sure David…
      I thought you would like the look of Mark’s stuff… very stylised and very pretty…
      The whiskey went down a treat ( not all of it at once I hasten to add).

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  11. Great looking show Aly and of course you were going to buy MLS! Looks like a bra dram as weel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I was 😂…
      The dram was just what the doctor ordered…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  12. Oh my what a grand day out, I still think Partizan is the best show to go to , couldn’t make it this time but I will be there for the second one. Nice to see where the butterflies went, yup I’m tempted with. Marks little soldiers and Ironclads ooh what’s not to like. Then to finish off with some Jura - what’s not to like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Graham…
      It is my favourite show…It never disappoints.
      The butterfly was certainly on form yesterday as was the whiskey.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  13. Excellent show and glad to meet up. Josh I think you bought more than me, look forward to seeing you start to paint the Austrian succession will they be shiny ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed good to meet up Matt…
      I have been saving myself for the show… I rarely get stuff delivered these days since we can’t get it sent to work.
      The War of Austrian Succession will have a Matt finish…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  14. Looks like it was a great do! Lovely varied mix of loot too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a jolly good show Iain…
      I just followed my butterfly on the day…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  15. Lovely looking tables and games. Apart of some of the games I recognized from Salute, the Catch the Pigeon one caught my eye. Something I might play ;-) Nice set of new toys too.

    Best wishes,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some cool games.
      Yes Dastardly and Muttley… splendid stuff indeed… a childhood favourite 😁

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  16. Some of those games are very spectacular. The Copplestone game is very cool, I really like the idea of that range, it really seems to lend itself to a project involving Syldavia and its rivals--the invented country in the Tin Tin series--which I have always been tempted to game...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The range definitely has that Tin-Tin vibe… with a touch of Ruritania…

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  17. Great Report -You might like our Tarawa 28mm board https://youtu.be/y4_9OwtyLOI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you…
      An impressive looking game indeed.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete